Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 264 26.22%
MOA 743 73.78%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Who exactly are the other LR players from 10-20 years ago when the LR hunting game was beginning to come out of the closet? Besides NF and Leupold, which I did mention BTW there really aren't many others. Premier and S&B but they never held the market share. Bushnell but they had very limited options.

The LR game in this country started with military and LE and most all of them were trained on MILS so I am not sure the "what's comfortable" concept fits.

Scot E.
'Comfortable' is shooters advancing from shorter ranges to extended range shooting and bringing along what they are used to and comfortable with. It has a lot to do with th 'comfort zone'

20 years ago the norm was a much shorter shot than it is today thanks in part to better firearms, optics and components, but speaking for myself at least, I'm more 'at home' with MOA and thats coming from 'before' not now.

It's like unleaded gas. I'd still be using tetraethyl lead fortified gas if the gummit hadn't outlawed it and replaced it with th crap we have today called 'gasoline'

If some governing entity suddenly removed all the MOA optics and mandated that only MILs would be acceptable, we'd all learn the system and most likely be happy. Thats not the case.

Like the SFP versus FFP scenario. Give mke the old standby. It's worked well for 30 years for me, why upset the applecart.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

It is 8:57 PM and I am waiting for the last debate. If Obama is elected or not he probably will sign the UN Treaty Banning small arms for all countries. Then we may not have to discuss these things anymore. What a shame if it happens.

joseph
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Newbie to the Forums here....Voted for MIL's! Was an Artillery Sgt and did 22 years in the Army. Started n M110A2 8 inch Howitzers and went to MLRS and Palladins. Mil's is all I know LOL!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

I voted for mil. One rifle has mil and other one has moa.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

I like moa. But if you know how to use them both same accurate.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

For me it's the reward of a longer calculated successful shot, no matter what subtension unit i'm using. This last year i had 2 that stand out in my memory. One was winning the field course of this long-range handgun shoot [www.moaguns.com] using an NP-R1 reticle on a Savage Super Striker 22-250/80 A-Max combo by running clicks for vertical and reticle for windage.

The other was a successful calcd. shot at 375 yds. on a nice coyote my buddy made with my 6AI 700/4-12x Burris Mini with Ballistic Plex reticle calcd. at 1.3 stadia units. It was a bang-flop with about a 1/2 baseball sized exit wound. That dog was field-skinned, fleshed, washed, sewn up and stretched, and is now ready for tanning and will end up on my buddies father's wall.

Nothing quite like understanding the adaptability of the mil-ranging formula to FFP and SFP reticles for the long-range shot no matter what subtension unit you or your buddies are using at any particular time.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM

I prefer MOA.

I found a really cool iPhone app called MOA Calc recently that helps calculate the size of your groupings in MOA. I find it very handy when I'm comparing the accuracy of hand loads.

http://whitehat.co/moa.calculator.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moa-calc/id590399471