Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 264 26.22%
MOA 743 73.78%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 PM

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Agreed
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 PM

I agree with you Scot E
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

This site shows a huge cross-section of MOA shooters.

If you talk with many optics dealers, their demand is for Mil scopes... by a huge margin. About dead opposite from the numbers in this poll actually.

I wonder what the reasons are for the difference?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
This site shows a huge cross-section of MOA shooters.

If you talk with many optics dealers, their demand is for Mil scopes... by a huge margin. About dead opposite from the numbers in this poll actually.

I wonder what the reasons are for the difference?
Part of it is that NF has been the main staple for repeatable LR scopes and they were late into the MIL game and are still a bit behind of some companies. Even Leupold was late getting into the MIL game. Many of the true LR guys have been at this a long time and their options were MOA. My take anyway.

Scot E.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Jeff.

The more I read the more confusing it gets but then I have a love/hate relationship with metric tools and things and if possible I substitute SAE. (Everything mechanically fastened should be 13mm.......

Not to worry, I'm only buying one scope this coming year, for my smoke pole and it will be MOA.

I don't want to be like Europe, not interested in Soccer, don't drive a European car and prefer the Kings English (or at least the local version of it....)

For decades, Europeans have been telling us their system is better. If it is, then why are they going broke?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Part of it is that NF has been the main staple for repeatable LR scopes and they were late into the MIL game and are still a bit behind of some companies. Even Leupold was late getting into the MIL game. Many of the true LR guys have been at this a long time and their options were MOA. My take anyway.

Scot E.
I don't see that theory holding much liquid, if any, because NF is a small part of the LR optic market.

I'd say that Leupold and Stevens is a much larger player.

I personally think it has to do with the 'whats comfortable for me to use' scenario.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'm with Jeff.

The more I read the more confusing it gets but then I have a love/hate relationship with metric tools and things and if possible I substitute SAE. (Everything mechanically fastened should be 13mm.......

Not to worry, I'm only buying one scope this coming year, for my smoke pole and it will be MOA.

I don't want to be like Europe, not interested in Soccer, don't drive a European car and prefer the Kings English (or at least the local version of it....)

For decades, Europeans have been telling us their system is better. If it is, then why are they going broke?
Mils are not metric. MOA is not imperial.

I encourage you to read the 3-part series I wrote on rifle sighting systems. I start with MOA.

Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Rifle Sighting Systems - Part 1: MOA & IPHY