Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 265 26.29%
MOA 743 73.71%
Voters: 1008. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Moved from moa to mils several years ago. Haven't looked back. It's not like its difficult using either system. I simply prefer the smaller numbers of mils. "Thirty two and a quarter minutes" vs. "seven point six" is just a hell of a lot easier to talk about and deal with. Obviously the above measurements don't correlate... it's just a case in point.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Moved from moa to mils several years ago. Haven't looked back. It's not like its difficult using either system. I simply prefer the smaller numbers of mils. "Thirty two and a quarter minutes" vs. "seven point six" is just a hell of a lot easier to talk about and deal with. Obviously the above measurements don't correlate... it's just a case in point.

I really don't see that much difference. Mil adjustments are normal .1 mil or .347 per click. MOA adjustments are normally 1/4 min or .25

That's less then .01 difference so clicking from 100 yards to 600 yard wouldn't be that much difference. Just click up in full mils or full MOA and add the little bit differene to get where you're going.

I like Mil dots in my scopes but I like MOA adjustments. Mainly because I think in inches. For example the height of an antelope from back to belly is about 15 inchs. I can use the Mil dot to determine range, and adjust what ever MOA. For example I know at 300 yards the Antelope is 5 MOA. Easier then trying to figure 4.32 inches.

Guess its just what you get use to.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

I didn't say anything about the fine or course adjustments in comparison. I agree... it doesn't matter.

What I'm talking about is memorization and communication. With moa, you're saying about twice as much as compared to mils.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

EDIT: never mind.... right brain left brain thing I say.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 10-13-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so here is mine

I have owned and am familiar with both systems for LR shooting but Mil-rad wins my vote without a doubt
In NZ, Aus we use the metric system so I think those who say MOA is easier is because they have not had the time to understand Milrad and MOA is probably all they know.

1Milrad is = to 1m @ 1k so .1Mil = 1cm @100m that has to be easier than 1/4 of MOA = 0.7cm Approx. @ 100m when conducting calculations

ie miss your target at 600m by 80cm (.1Mil = 6cm @ 600m) 80cm/6(Range)= 13clicks or 1.3Mil
I can do this quickly in my head for a quick follow up shot what I can’t do quickly is this

1/4 MOA = 0.7cm x 6(Range) = Calculator please 4.2cm per click, 80cm/4.2cm = 19 clicks or 4.75MOA

for those who use only the imperial unit of measure this one is for you

Target 700yds miss 2.5 feet calculation is as follows, feet to inches 2.5 x12inch = miss by 30 inch, 30/7(range) = 4.3MOA

easier yes, I can hear people replying now that is why I use a ballistic program, problem is that takes time, the only other option is to apply aim off judged by your fall of shot ie round goes 80cm to 2oclock aim 80cm at 8oclock this is adequate but not precise and less face it we are only estimating we missed by 80cm.

The real advantage of a milrad scope is when you incorporate it with milrad rectical simply measure your miss by the milrad rectical eg miss by 1.2mils + or - 1.2mils on your scope it’s that easy no math’s and very fast and also gives you backup range finding ability

If you use MOA scope with a milrad rectical you have to times the milrad adjustment by 3.57 to get the adjustment in MOA (still math’s not something you want to be doing under pressure this is probably why I have seen more and more US snipers going to this combination)

There is one advantage in 1/4 MOA adj instead of 0.1Mil and that is it is very slightly a finer adjustment but this is only about 3cm at 1km how well can you realy group?

I am always learning new things so feedback welcome.

Last edited by Sub MOA Hunter; 10-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Could we have an exmple of this? Haven't a clue here what you mean.

Thanks!

Jeff
I think what he meant is 28.75 MOA is approximately 8.5 MIL which is a lower/smaller number and thus easier to remember and memorize.

Scot E.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub MOA Hunter View Post

The real advantage of a milrad scope is when you incorporate it with milrad rectical simply measure your miss by the milrad rectical eg miss by 1.2mils + or - 1.2mils on your scope itís that easy no mathís and very fast and also gives you backup range finding ability

I.
This isn't a real advantage for MIL setups but instead any setup that uses angular measurements with the same unit of measurement or calibration for both the reticle and turrets. If you try and forget about the math and just use either MOA or MIL as an angular measurement you will be much better off IMO. Just measure the distance with your reticle and dial it with your turret and you are done. It is faster and there is less chance for error.

One of the big benefits to MIL in my mind is that there are many more scopes with MIL reticles and turrets than there are MOA. Add to that that there are many more options for spotting scopes with a MIL reticle to be used in spotting and there is an advantage for this guy.

Scot E.