Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use MOA or MIL
MIL 264 26.22%
MOA 743 73.78%
Voters: 1007. You may not vote on this poll

What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen Dazs View Post
I voted Mil. I wouldn't even consider a scope that wasn't mil/mil FFP. I use a laser range finder and know how to range with the reticle but I'm having alot of trouble finding accurate measurements of North American game. Without these estimations of size, ranging with the reticle is impossible. Any links would be great.

I also range in meters; I go full metric because that's the best system with the 1:1000 ratio and there's no multiplying by 3.6 anywhere. The only drawback to the total metric system is that we measure the accuracy of our rifles in MOA. Maybe I'll start a new trend and tell people how accurate my rifle is in mils!
Spot on sir.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Haggen Daz, Here are some numbers I have. I have measured many of my game and they vary. I also have 2 close friends that are taxidermist, so have measured many forms also. Deer and bear seem to vary most from region to region. Small Texas type deer versas a large midwest farm or Canadian. I also have seen very large bull elk. I had a friend shoot one that was almost 1000# he weighed it and was a butcher at time.my best hunting bud shot a bull this year and front 1/4 was 140 and rear 1/4 120#no skin. In comparison we had friend drop off Canadian moose in his cooler front 120#,rear 115# no skin, full 1/4's, moose was 57'' bull. Elk was a E MT. Elk was 520# hanging meat, this put live weight up there, guts hide,head. antelope 16'',whitetail 18'',mule deer 22'',bear 22'',elk32'',moose 40''. These nubers from game I have taken in my area, I shoot mature animals, one muley was 32'' around at ears, I have taken a 7-3'' black bear and a 8-6'' cat. I am in process of making a range book and righting down mil sizes of game at different ranges, doe ,buck etc, for reference.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Bronze Member

Cool thanks for the numbers, I'll have to keep a log as well.
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ― Charles Bukowski

Only precise rifles are interesting.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

I think in inches so MOA is quick for me. I was just starting to learn and be able to call shots in MIL then my shooting partner moved across the country. My next scope will be MIL.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

mil, moa, iphy, ballistic reticle, simple plex, doesn't make much difference to me. I use them all and everything depends on application mostly. They can all be used for rangefinding and downrange zeroing using the exact same formula actually [the subtension variable is the only difference in the "mil-ranging" equation, no matter what you're using].

There is certainly an advantage if the spotter is using the same system as the shooter. But you can make anything work with a little more time. And i will concede metric vs. imperial for one less variable in the equation as well. Wish we would have switched to it way back when, but we didn't.

I was out hunting coyotes last month and had the opportunity to reticle-range an antelope doe [avg. 14" back to brisket that i always use] and cow elk [avg. 24" b-b] at 450 and 775 respectively and both were within PBR [danger range] both times of the laser reading for each tgt. size using the NP-R1 one MOA unit.

Here is an example of a RR'ing system using a 1/2 mil subtension unit [Holland's HUMR or TMR] for 11" coyotes back to brisket, no in the field calcs. needed--

Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

As far as the number of Mil shooters go, it looks like here its 30% and 70% are Moa.

On SnipersHide a similar poll was done, over there 60% of the voters (out of the 330 that voted) were Mil users and close to 40% Moa users.

I voted Moa (specifically the reticle) because IMO it is better suited for longrange hunting.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen Dazs View Post
I voted Mil. I wouldn't even consider a scope that wasn't mil/mil FFP. I use a laser range finder and know how to range with the reticle but I'm having alot of trouble finding accurate measurements of North American game. Without these estimations of size, ranging with the reticle is impossible. Any links would be great.

I also range in meters; I go full metric because that's the best system with the 1:1000 ratio and there's no multiplying by 3.6 anywhere. The only drawback to the total metric system is that we measure the accuracy of our rifles in MOA. Maybe I'll start a new trend and tell people how accurate my rifle is in mils!
Love it!

I use mils as well.
Guns for Sale
Rifles for Sale