Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Spotting scope - angled or straight eyepiece?
Angled 619 46.58%
Straight 710 53.42%
Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Spotting scope - angled or straight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Re: Spotting scope - angled or straight?

I like the straight version. The angled version has a few more parts. It probably is easier to spot targets from a bench with. I read somewhere that sales are about even, so one probably is as much in demand as the other.

A look at eBay tells me that a person who buys a new one better expect to keep it a while since there is substantial depreciation. A good used one might be the best.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

You guys just validated my most recent purchase. A straight Ziess 24X40X80 I primarily use the scope for spot and stalk hunting. I did use it the other day for spotting, when I was shooting but couldn't see the holes in the black./
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Angled is easy on the neck and back and allows a person to look down in a relaxed fashion. It also allows folks of different heights to look at the same object without moving the scope.

Angled scopes do not work well from window mounts in trucks though. I use a straight one if in the truck.

I use both.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member

I like the angled becaus it is what I have allways used. Jaust more comfortable for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Mine have all been straight since most of my use is while hunting. I find game location easier and faster using my left eye to assist, similar to game location with a scope. Also, the straight prism designs are more compact for easy transport.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

my first spotting scope had an angled eyepiece. Never would give me a good sight picture while wearing glasses. Later on I tested about twelve or fifteen scopes in the heat of the day over black top. I was looking for less mirage and distortion along with better resolution. I ended up with a strait instead of an angled scope. I also found that fixed power eyepieces (prime) had better resolution and less distortion. The best scope I've ever looked thru was a Swarovski. The next rung on the ladder would be filled with the Liecas, Kowas, a very high end Nikon, and the samething in a Bushnell. All these scopes were well over $1,000 except for the Kowa ($750). Course now they're even higher priced. I found that most all scopes above 45x were somewhat dim, if not down right dark. Dividing the power level into the lense diameter shows some real ugly things in many scopes (that's known as the light factor), and will give you an idea how bright they are. Ideally we want something like a 3.0, but thats hard to come by most of the time. The Kowa I use is 3.03, but with the 45x eyepiece it drops down to 1.8. Barely minimal for most of us. A 60x eyepiece would give you 1.36, and that's rather dark! The Lieca I used in my hunt for a new scope was very nice, but had a little more glare in the sight picture than I liked. Plus I don't think they are water proof or shock proof. The Nikon was very good in the lower ranges of power, but liked the resolution of the Kowa a little better. The Lieca was more fatiguing to look thru in bright light than the others. I saw little difference between the Bushnell and the Nikon.
gary
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Angled.

It works well on the range, just turn the barrel so it's angled towards my head so there's not a lot of movement required.

For LR scanning, I've taken Len's lead and gone to tripod mounted 20x60 binos. Much easier on the eyes, no burn out, no headaches, no sore neck. When I'm ruckin, just stow the tripod and wear them on a padded carrier from Sitka.

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas