Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Spotting scope - angled or straight eyepiece?
Angled 619 46.58%
Straight 710 53.42%
Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Spotting scope - angled or straight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Re: Spotting scope - angled or straight?

I have straight as I use for more than just off a shooting bench and I just don't really like bending my head over all the time to look through the scope. The straight just keep my head and neck in a more more natural position IMO.
Kim
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Angled. I shoot F-Class Target and Across the Course and can set up the scope to read wind and score by leaning my head left. It minimizes my movement off point of aim so I can take advantage of winds conditions as they change.

My scope also rotates on its axis and can be locked into position so I generally sit a little offset behind the shooter when I'm keeping score and reading his trace.

It's also comfortable when I'm sitting at a bench to check some loads and can just lean a little to see impact holes.

Straight is ok if you happen to be standing behind a friend who is sighting in his rifle. In most other positions it places you in an uncomfortable position when you really should be concentrating on "getting in the zone".

BobbyD
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Absolutely angled! As J E Custom said, easy to use from any position.

I learned on angled when shooting the M-1 Garand and 1911 A-1 for the Marine Corps in Hawaii in 1963 and came to love it. So much easier on the neck.

I have used the straight when shooting Bullseye and that was the only scope that would fit in my Pistol box, but I much prefer the angled.

But to each his own, and I respect the opinions of my fellow shooters.

WE
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Angled, more versitile and more comfortable sitting, standing, prone, or hanging from the balcony.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Straight, because so far I can only justify one Sworo. to the wife and I usually spot from above or level and my hunting buddy is similar in size.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM

The straight scope gets my vote. The angled scopes have more parts to go out of whack. Was looking through a Leica Apo-Televid at the 2009 NRA Convention. Sharpness was unreal! Perhaps some attachment that makes angled use would work.

I do not have a spotting scope. The Leica Apo-Televid 82mm goes for around $3850+tax. You really get what you pay for with these scopes.

I wonder how Saturn looks through one of these? At a local planetarium, Saturn appears the size of the end of my thumb, fully extended. The scope is 155x, 20". (I realize spotting scopes are not best for star gazing.)

Leica seems to have dropped the fixed power eyepieces for the variables only. I wonder if a variable at 32x is as sharp as a fixed 32x?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

I have a Zeiss 85mm angled and like it. My Dad has the 65mm straight. The angled gives you way more room to view. If I look out of the truck I can see all the way behind me and all the way around front of me. It is very hard to get used to though and tuff to see something then pick it up with the angled. The straight is nice for that as you can kind of line it up. The angled is a little easier on your neck as you can just look down into the eye piece as apposed to holding your head up