Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?
MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk 1,001 73.55%
MOSTLY - Ambush 360 26.45%
Voters: 1361. You may not vote on this poll

Spot & Stalk or Ambush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Spot & Stalk or Ambush

In my younger days I put a lot of time in trees w/ bow for whitetail, hunting a specific buck. Then I got muley bug andI spot and stalk, sit in mountains a lot and do a good majority of dog a big track, same for elk. Love tracking them. I have tracked and shot 5x5 whitey in bed, and a 6x6 bull in bed w/ bow.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

I try to sit n wait but 15 minutes into it I start to think i'm missing out elsewhere, thats about when I decide to get up and look around and blow all hope of success.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

This all is dependant on where it is I'm hunting,... I live and hunt whitetails in Michigan where I live most of the areas available to hunt (public lands) are in normally tight cover and do not provide the long shots and open areas like the West has to offer me when hunting mulies or elk mostly in Wyoming.

I actually hunt both styles but prefer to spot and stalk em'. I like trying to outwit them while sneeking up on them the best I can before I get busted.

It's always fun to me to find a set of fresh tracks and do some runnin' and gunnin',.. ya' never know where your going to wind up or if you'll find them but the chase is all part of hunting to me.

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

I generally spot and stalk. It is so open out here in the Sandhills of Nebraska that it lends itself very, very well to spot and stalk. You can see for miles 360 degrees when you get on top of one of the big hills out here. When I am not spotting much I go to the places where I know there will be deer and sneak around to ambush the deer from their beds. If you are careful it is still spot and stalk because you can see them before they see you, and then get into position for a close shot. I've never been much of a tree stand hunter, but have been enjoying doing it a couple of times a year with my bow in the river bottoms with my uncle. It's something different anyway.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM

I'm hoping when I get my new gun from Kevin @ Montour Country and I spend the time to get profecint that I do far less stocking and more
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

There is a reason that spot and stock is more popular. It is because it works and ambush usually dosn't. Arrond here it is flat praire and it is hard to set up an ambush.

Also a lot of long range shots have to be taken.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Bronze Member

Im in Oregon. If I'm on the western side of the Cascades, in Blacktail country, definatly spot and stalk. Over here, on the eastern side, in Muley country, ambush seems to work better after locating a several. I dont hunt deer often anymore, but thats the way it was for me when I did.