Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?
Shooting Chrony 661 36.80%
Oehler 284 15.81%
CED M2 239 13.31%
Pact 159 8.85%
PVM-22 16 0.89%
Pro Chrony 437 24.33%
Voters: 1796. You may not vote on this poll

Which shooting chronograph do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Sorry for the last post...I had not yet read the ones talking about the MagnetoSpeed.

Ok, different modes for different bullets, etc. But I haven't noticed anyone talk about it affecting the POI or accuracy.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have found similiar results using my Magnetspeed for a couple of months. I subtracted 10-20 FPS depending on the rifle used, which would then match my Oehler. I seems to match my Shooter apps calculated velocity loss difference between the 15ft distance of the Oehler and the MS sitting right in front of the muzzle. On several separate days, and two different rifles, the MS gave me FPS and ES which were within a few FPS. It's so precise that I have been able to determine the exact number of shots it takes to stabilize the velocity from a clean bore. I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i dont combine the two processes, the only drawback. I may be just my rifles though. I'll likely sell my Oehler, this is great technology.
Sorry, I feel remiss/foolish now...So my assumption that the Magneto would change the POI and group size seems to be true according to Greyfox's experience. Just makes sense.

I would have been concerned about taking this one to market if it were my idea because I don't waste sending rounds downrange just to see the speed; I use all shots to determine accuracy and keep all targets. I would figure most guys do the same, but maybe not.

Designing a prototype is one thing, but its a lot of money to invest to go into full manufacturing and establishing a patent. Good luck to the Magneto guys though!

By the way, with the Pro Chrono, like Greyfox mentions with the Magneto, I can see exactly when the velocity stabilizes after a fully decoppered barrel (which I don't do between every shooting session). I can also see the smaller difference in a lightly cleaned barrel (with only powder fouling removed). Lastly I see the same velocities I last left the range with if I don't clean the barrel at all. (This is what I do before going out for the hunt- know my POI and leave it be!) All states of barrel show repeatable results.

D & X zone hunts start in 10 & 17 days...woohooo!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Gold Member

Shootin4fun,

Some shooters report little if any change in POI with the MagnetoSpeed, while others have recorded a pronounce shift in POI. It seems that the heavier the barrel contour, the less the POI is effected.

For me, I will send one or two shots downrange to confirm POI and then quickly strap on the Magno to confirm velocity. I have found that changes in subtle changes in speed have a bigger impact down range. Doesn't bother me in the least to shoot one or two to verify my velocity.

My main reasons for buying the MagnetoSpeed were: 1) ease of use; 2) true muzzle velocity (not imputed from ten yards in front); 3) more consistent reporting of shots (much fewer error readings); 4) not dependent on lighting conditions.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Shootin4fun,

Some shooters report little if any change in POI with the MagnetoSpeed, while others have recorded a pronounce shift in POI. It seems that the heavier the barrel contour, the less the POI is effected.

For me, I will send one or two shots downrange to confirm POI and then quickly strap on the Magno to confirm velocity. I have found that changes in subtle changes in speed have a bigger impact down range. Doesn't bother me in the least to shoot one or two to verify my velocity.

My main reasons for buying the MagnetoSpeed were: 1) ease of use; 2) true muzzle velocity (not imputed from ten yards in front); 3) more consistent reporting of shots (much fewer error readings); 4) not dependent on lighting conditions.
Heavier barrel = less of an effect; makes sense and what I would expect. My tubes are all sporters at this point... and if the powder shortage keeps up, I'm not buying any more rifles!

Interesting, I don't see small variations (+/- 5f ps) in velocity making a significant difference downrange. My shooting ability or wind makes a bigger diff.

I use my Chrony about 12+' in front of muzzle so velocity is virtually the same as at the muzzle. Certainly close enough for ballistic tables to be right on. I don't get very many error readings but yes, when they happen they throw the statistics off...must calc manually and omit those but not a big deal.

Ease of use and not dependent on lighting seem like the strongest arguments to use a Magneto, especially if you're forced to shoot at a regulated range...my main one is not, its in the forest, but city ranges, ugh, setting up a unit in front of the firing line is a pain.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

BTW, Magnetos are priced 2.5x - 3.5x the cost of what I paid for the Chrony, but of course to some cost doesn't matter.

Thanks for the good feedback/info!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

You are correct that 5 fps is not worth worrying about. What I do worry about is a more substantial change over a period of 100 shots. When a barrel begins to have copper/carbon buildup to the point that pressure/velocity begins to spike, I want to catch it right away.....even before it happens. The old style chromos were just too time consuming to set up, so I wouldn't check except every hundred rounds or so. Now I just strap it on for a shot or two just to make sure my velocities aren't beginning to go sideways on me.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Thee strongest point for the Magneto is how accurate it is and the ease of use is secondary to me. I have to to adjust my velocity from the magneto speed very little IF any to get my ballistics on, I'm saving sooooo many rounds and time dialing in rifle ballistics it's amazing. We have several Chronies and I've compared the data from them to the Magneto and about half the rifles it was close the others it was up to 100 fps of which is useless data IMO!!!