Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.


View Poll Results: Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?
Shooting Chrony 662 36.74%
Oehler 285 15.82%
CED M2 240 13.32%
Pact 160 8.88%
PVM-22 16 0.89%
Pro Chrony 439 24.36%
Voters: 1802. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Which shooting chronograph do you use?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #78  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,512
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Agreed. I think that the effect of the MS in POI, and that whether or not this is a detriment is a function of each shooters load/rifle development process.
10-4. Provided users/purchasers understand this affect of strapping the Magnetospeed to the end of their barrel and have no issues with it, then this unit could be their 'Cat's Meow'.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,938
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
10-4. Provided users/purchasers understand this affect of strapping the Magnetospeed to the end of their barrel and have no issues with it, then this unit could be their 'Cat's Meow'.
Funny thing about this. I did the complete load development of my new LRKN with the Magneto speed on the barrel. Then once done I removed it and set zero in two shots. I have repeatedly shot this rifle to well over 2000 yards with first round hits. It is boring to shoot it at 1000, the accuracy is that good. So this may not be the proper method, but it suits me.

PS: I inputted the magneto speed velocity average in my AB app and have not changed it.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,512
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
So this may not be the proper method, but it suits me.
Jeff
Sure seems like the proper method for you Jeff. Makes no matter whether or not it's proper for others. It's a blessing that your accuracy was apparently unaffected, or negligibly affected. Both POI and accuracy can and will vary with some rifles (probably most), having the MagnetoSpeed attached versus unattached. This is well documented, as I expressed in another Thread yesterday through the design and use of the Browning Boss System.

Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

The Boss is designed to alter the accuracy of any load out of a rifle by a slight adjustment in the position of weight protruding slightly past the muzzle. Wrapping the MS to the end of the barrel is a huge shift in weight compared to the Boss. But I or no one else could state that the attachment of the MS to the end of a barrel will affect accuracy on every single barrel that it's attached to. Only that it's to be expected. My personal expectation is that change will be observed on more than 50% of rifles. No problems if it happens and a person knew it was likely, or a possibility. Anything known can be worked around one way or another. More troubling should it happen and the shooter have no expectation it was possible.

And for folk that develop their loads without a chronograph, or don't load their own ammunition - no sweat. They can wait until they've got their pet load worked up, or until they've settled on their preferred factory load, and then strap the MS on their barrel and quickly establish muzzle velocity out of their rifle. The MS could be their cat's meow.

Different strokes for different folks. There are few one method fits all requirements in shooting, or life, unless an individual volunteers, or gets railroaded, into subscribing to that philosophy.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,643
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Funny thing about this. I did the complete load development of my new LRKN with the Magneto speed on the barrel. Then once done I removed it and set zero in two shots. I have repeatedly shot this rifle to well over 2000 yards with first round hits. It is boring to shoot it at 1000, the accuracy is that good. So this may not be the proper method, but it suits me.

PS: I inputted the magneto speed velocity average in my AB app and have not changed it.

Jeff
after a lot of thought on the concept of the Magneto speed chronograph verses the more common units out there, I see no issue other than the end results are not comparable (but probably relatively close). Least wise it'd seem that way to me.

Other than point of impact being different, I'd like to know the differences in velocity between a barrel mount, and say a good unit placed ten feet and say fifteen feet past the muzzle. Plus how close to the "claimed" muzzle velocity in the manual to what the magneto speed shows on it's read out are they?
gary
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,512
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Other than point of impact being different, I'd like to know the differences in velocity between a barrel mount, and say a good unit placed ten feet and say fifteen feet past the muzzle. Plus how close to the "claimed" muzzle velocity in the manual to what the magneto speed shows on it's read out are they?
gary
Broz ran some tests against his Oehler 35P and reported a very good correlation in recorded velocities. I've read other positive user postings on the MS also while browsing the web. It seems pretty fool proof as far as the recording of velocity. I not certain that it records velocity of lead cast bullets without a jacket, but for jacketed bullets in common use in rifles, it is reportedly working very reliably, and giving velocities people feel are correct.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,938
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I'd like to know the differences in velocity between a barrel mount, and say a good unit placed ten feet and say fifteen feet past the muzzle. Plus how close to the "claimed" muzzle velocity in the manual to what the magneto speed shows on it's read out are they?
gary
Oehler 35 and Super were roughly 16' from the muzzle. The one error was the strap coming loose on the magneto. We tightened it and kept an eye on it after that.


First up was a .223. Below are the velocities recorded from each unit.

Shot............. O35..............Magneto..............Super

1:.................3261..............3289......... ..........3166
2:.................3300..............error........ ...........3231
3:.................3314..............3335......... ..........3221
4:.................3294..............3315......... ..........3248
5:.................3316..............3337......... ..........3251

Next rifle was my 6 BR

Shot..............O35...............Magneto....... ........Super

1:.................2821..............2829......... ...........2851
2:.................2824..............2832......... ...........2851
3:.................2813..............2820......... ...........2831
4:.................2805..............2810......... ...........2828
5:.................2815..............2823......... ...........2841

Next rifle was a 284 Winchester

Shot..............O35...............Magneto....... .........Super

1:................2834...............2837......... ...........2854
2:................2842...............2855......... ...........2864
3:................2857...............2860......... ...........2870
4:................2825...............2831......... ...........2837
5:................2828...............2836......... ...........2857

Last was BnG with his 338 RUM and some 250 Bergers

Shot.............O35................Magneto....... .........Super

1:................3084...............3099......... ............3005
2:................3100...............3117......... ............3028
3:................3072...............3092......... ............3005
4:................3088...............3105......... ............3001
5:................3094...............3097......... ............3028


Here you go Dick, and you know how good the Oehler 35 is so do you think I would switch without a full test?

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,562
Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Broz ran some tests against his Oehler 35P and reported a very good correlation in recorded velocities. I've read other positive user postings on the MS also while browsing the web. It seems pretty fool proof as far as the recording of velocity. I not certain that it records velocity of lead cast bullets without a jacket, but for jacketed bullets in common use in rifles, it is reportedly working very reliably, and giving velocities people feel are correct.

Huh, never though about straight lead bullets, I'll strap it on a Sharps and find out one of these days.
__________________
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Which shooting chronograph do you use?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting Class - Join Len Len Backus Long Range Hunting & Shooting 0 05-16-2011 01:12 PM
Shooting Chrony Gamma Master Chronograph-Pics kfrye Other Stuff For Sale 4 10-25-2010 12:31 PM
Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph Eaglet General Discussion 10 03-31-2010 11:28 PM
which Chronograph to buy for indoor shooting bigrich954rr Equipment Discussions 5 02-16-2010 02:58 PM
CED Millennium 2 shooting chronograph new shooter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 03-22-2007 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC