Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?
Shooting Chrony 661 36.80%
Oehler 284 15.81%
CED M2 239 13.31%
Pact 159 8.85%
PVM-22 16 0.89%
Pro Chrony 437 24.33%
Voters: 1796. You may not vote on this poll

Which shooting chronograph do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Riley, if you ordered it from 1st shot gear you will probably have it tomorrow got mine a couple of weeks ago, ordered it on Wed. afternoon and it was delivered on Fri. that is service.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I ordered it from mile high shooting, they had a group buy over on the hide for a little cheaper than 1 shot gear. They should get a shipment of them this week, so by next week i should have mine. Now all i need to tie up my reloading/shooting gear is a STM (i think i will be putting my sonic cleaner, tumbler, and pro chrono up for sale soon), a $$hawkeye bore scope$$, and the quickload software.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Been using a Magneto Speed too. It runs a few FPS faster than my Oehler 35 but is consistent with several rifles tested with both. The magneto speed is definitely growing on me. I just subtract 10 fps and load up the ballistic app and I am on.

Jeff
I have found similiar results using my Magnetspeed for a couple of months. I subtracted 10-20 FPS depending on the rifle used, which would then match my Oehler. I seems to match my Shooter apps calculated velocity loss difference between the 15ft distance of the Oehler and the MS sitting right in front of the muzzle. On several separate days, and two different rifles, the MS gave me FPS and ES which were within a few FPS. It's so precise that I have been able to determine the exact number of shots it takes to stabilize the velocity from a clean bore. I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i dont combine the two processes, the only drawback. I may be just my rifles though. I'll likely sell my Oehler, this is great technology.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i don't combine the two processes, the only drawback.
Which is a substantial handicap, and the reason I won't purchase one. But I understand the convenience, which is why many will prefer this approach in a chronograph.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Which is a substantial handicap, and the reason I won't purchase one. But I understand the convenience, which is why many will prefer this approach in a chronograph.
I have not seen anything that I would call a substanial handicap, the convenience is just the icing on the cake with the Magneto but getting accurate velocity data every time you use it is what is making it a prefered tool. If I do see the Magneto change my group I'll change how I do things but I will still get velocity data from the Magneto!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I have not seen anything that I would call a substantial handicap, the convenience is just the icing on the cake with the Magneto but getting accurate velocity data every time you use it is what is making it a preferred tool. If I do see the Magneto change my group I'll change how I do things but I will still get velocity data from the Magneto!
Greyfox experienced and stated the handicap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i dont combine the two processes, the only drawback. It may be just my rifles though.
This affect on group size and POI is to be anticipated. If it's not a substantial handicap to you, then it just means you don't personally consider it 'substantial'. Others, including myself, will.

Two years ago I had a manufacturer rep ask me if I was interested in testing their prototype of a magnetospeed in concert with my chronographs. I don't know if that was the manufacturer of what is now known as the Magnetospeed or not. I wasn't interested because I knew I couldn't perform load development with the unit fastened to the muzzle of my barrel. I wasn't interested in wasting ammunition just to see if their unit functioned consistent with my chronographs. If I could have developed hunting loads at the same time I shot with their unit hanging off the muzzle, I would have volunteered.

For LRHs that don't chronograph their loads during load development, or for shooters that don't reload their own ammo and shoot factory ammo, this handicap may be inconsequential.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-18-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Greyfox experienced and stated the handicap.

This affect on group size and POI is to be anticipated. If it's not a substantial handicap to you, then it just means you don't personally consider it 'substantial'. Others, including myself, will.

Two years ago I had a manufacturer rep ask me if I was interested in testing their prototype of a magnetospeed in concert with my chronographs. I don't know if that was the manufacturer of what is now known as the Magnetospeed or not. I wasn't interested because I knew I couldn't perform load development with the unit fastened to the muzzle of my barrel. I wasn't interested in wasting ammunition just to see if their unit functioned consistent with my chronographs. If I could have developed hunting loads at the same time I shot with their unit hanging off the muzzle, I would have volunteered.

For LRHs that don't chronograph their loads during load development, or for shooters that don't reload their own ammo and shoot factory ammo, this handicap may be inconsequential.
Agreed. I think that the effect of the MS in POI, and that whether or not this is a detriment is a function of each shooters load/rifle development process. I have rarely integrated my accuracy development with chrornographing. This is largely due to the ambiguity of velocity results that exists unless lighting conditions were just right. I could optimize accuracy unhindered by these conditions. Once accuracy was established I could get my velocity/ES info when I thought conditions would give me credible information. The MS is exceptionally accurate, sets up in a minute or two, and can be done at my convenience.IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt