Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which Reloading Die Brand Do You Use?
Forster 370 13.47%
Hornady 484 17.63%
Lee 636 23.16%
RCBS 1,458 53.10%
Redding 1,074 39.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2746. You may not vote on this poll

Reloading Die Brand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading Die Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The new Summit from RCBS looks interesting for an intermediate press. I like the design but haven't seen one in the flesh yet. I like the idea of an unside down die thats moves with the case stationary. RCBS also came out (last year) with a Dillon clone military crimp bench mounted removal tool for quite a bit less than Dillon's asking price.

I don't really beiieve there is much to 'innovate' in the realm of reloading dies. IMO, most bases are covered and I still like my RCBS front load competition micrometer seaters better than any other for ease of projectile insertion, repeatability and overall quality.
Sir,

Regarding the RCBS front load competition micrometer seater... Is the stem compatible with VLD bullets, or does it require a different stem?

Thanks,

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Sir,

Regarding the RCBS front load competition micrometer seater... Is the stem compatible with VLD bullets, or does it require a different stem?

Thanks,

DocB
You know, I asked this question over 3 weeks ago.

I don't want to come off as indignant or unappreciative but...

I ask questions when I don't understand something or I'm unsure. I have no experience reloading, none, zero, zilch, zip. I only think I know what I know by what I read and a lot of that is confusing. So I ask questions.

I DO KNOW that when I do start reloading for my 300WM I will be using almost exclusively Berger Hybrid and VLD bullets. My alternative is the AMax. I do know that Berger VLDs require special seating stems and the case must be chamfered using a special tool.

So as I slowly acquire the tools to begin reloading piecemeal, I want to ensure that I purchase the right tools the first time. It's kinda hard to just run down to the gunshop or Cabelas and check out dies and tools when you're 8000 miles away in Afghanistan and all your research is restricted to the internet.

My only alternative is to ask my wife to check stuff out, but she's even more lost than I am. But she is willing to learn and wants to reload for her guns also.

So I ask questions of those here whom I consider to be without a doubt experts in long range precision shooting and reloading.

And I read some more.

But like Socrates is quoted as saying " The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know."

So help is appreciated, positive, negative, or otherwise.

Thanks,

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Sir,

Thanks,

DocB
I honestly don't know for sure on the RCBS, but most seating stems are "usable" with VLD bullets in the basic sense. The internal shape of the stem dictates how much surface area of the individual bullet will be supported while seating. Most seating stems are deep enough to keep the bullet tip from contacting and deforming, if not, that's an easy fix... If you go by Hornady's recommendations, even the A-Maxes require a different shape seating stem... And these stems are available for the Hornady dies, of course no one else makes them . So, to answer your question, it should work...

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sir,

Thanks,

DocB
I won't say that I read it or was told by someone that knows but I do own a set of the .30 dies with the rcbs front load competition micrometer seater. I just last week loaded .308 berger vld and had one hole results at a hundred yards. It never occurred to me that the stem might not work. Anyway in my case it worked no problem.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 PM

+1 on your answer, I just worry about overall length, though I am finding with a Sako Bolt action its very flexible and accurate, I love RCB Competition Dies if for nothing else besides the ease of bullet seating.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
I won't say that I read it or was told by someone that knows but I do own a set of the .30 dies with the rcbs front load competition micrometer seater. I just last week loaded .308 berger vld and had one hole results at a hundred yards. It never occurred to me that the stem might not work. Anyway in my case it worked no problem.
I happened to talk to an RCBS technician a week ago concerning a competition die issue... I broke the expander ball and bent the rod....duh and he told me they do offfer specific sgtems for varying bullets but they have to be ordered directly from RCBS, plus you caqn order direct, a variety of seater plugs/shellholders so one micrometer seater can do every caliber by changing out the seater plug/shellholder and seating stem.

I do like mine, I have a couple. One thing I found was cleaning the seater with gunscrubber and oiling it to keep the slide and micrometer head working freely.

BTW, he sent me not only a complete expander ball/decapping end for the comp F/L die, but an extra standard expander for the N/S die and new knurled top nuts....no charge. I've never had an issue (this was my own foolishness btw), but RCBS has a lifetime replacement policy on components.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the info, very helpful, always liked RCB