Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which Reloading Die Brand Do You Use?
Forster 370 13.47%
Hornady 485 17.66%
Lee 636 23.15%
RCBS 1,458 53.08%
Redding 1,074 39.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2747. You may not vote on this poll

Reloading Die Brand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Re: Reloading Die Brand?

Hi Gary,
I use normally the RCBS case lube, as recomended in reloding manuals. In RCBS, Redding or Hornady dies sometime I forget to lube the cases and I feel, after several resized cases that the lever becomes a little less smooth. I lubricate the following cases and all returns at the best. With the Lee Press, instead, even when well lubricated, many times cases were so hard to resize that I was afraid to stuck the case in the die! Not to talk of big cartridges as 8x68S or 9,3x74R....
Today, I contacted the Forster importer and in Turin there are 3 different opportunities to see and buy some kits.
I will try soon and I will evaluate the differences.
Roberto
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Ricci View Post
Hi Gary,
I use normally the RCBS case lube, as recomended in reloding manuals. In RCBS, Redding or Hornady dies sometime I forget to lube the cases and I feel, after several resized cases that the lever becomes a little less smooth. I lubricate the following cases and all returns at the best. With the Lee Press, instead, even when well lubricated, many times cases were so hard to resize that I was afraid to stuck the case in the die! Not to talk of big cartridges as 8x68S or 9,3x74R....
Today, I contacted the Forster importer and in Turin there are 3 different opportunities to see and buy some kits.
I will try soon and I will evaluate the differences.
Roberto
try the Imperial die wax.
gary
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

I have used RCBS lube, Hornady One Shot and Imperial.

Imperial is by far the best.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 AM

Hi to all,
I will look for Imperial wax or lube as you suggested. Here in Italy it seems that Imperial is distributed by Redding, actually.
Many thanks for suggestions. You are a source of news for me!!!
Roberto
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Gary, have you had ever the need to unload the bullet from a realoded cartridge? I use, when it needs, a kinetic hammer. Is it the best way to disassemble a cartridge or are there any other device that allow you to do the operation without damaging the bullet and the case?
Toberto
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Ricci View Post
Gary, have you had ever the need to unload the bullet from a realoded cartridge? I use, when it needs, a kinetic hammer. Is it the best way to disassemble a cartridge or are there any other device that allow you to do the operation without damaging the bullet and the case?
Toberto
somewhere I still have the hammer, and actually a home built one for a certain wildcat that wouldn't work with the plastic one. But now days I use a Forster bullet puller. But if I were to buy another, I think it'd be the one from Hornaday I like the lever lockup better than the Forster setup, but both work well.

I did build a home made bullet puller once. Found an old Ericson drill extension in the trash, and the more I looked at the more I felt I could build a better one. Worked very well (better than the Forster), and never found a bullet it wouldn't grab.
gary
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Gary.. I have a Hornady for those rare instances. I have the hammer style too, I use the hammer style when I'm frustrated about something and I need to vent.....