Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be in MOA or in MIL?
MOA 365 68.74%
MIL 166 31.26%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2017, 02:54 PM
PUBLISHER

NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL

Things in the LRH optics field have been changing fast.

So I'd like to take a fresh look at this topic.

Unread 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL

MOA that is what I am use to.
Unread 05-26-2017, 12:24 AM

Grew up on moa, it's all I know and have no need for anything else. I own many scopes and would not buy one if not available in moa turrets and moa ret.
Unread 05-26-2017, 01:40 AM

For the sake of training repetitions toward unconscious competence I'll likely never buy another scope that isn't Mil/Mil FFP, and have slowly replaced all of the MOA glass that lived on rifles I actually use frequently. (As opposed to all of the freeloaders taking up space in my rifle cabinet. You guys know the ones I'm talking about...)
Unread 05-26-2017, 03:00 AM
Bronze Member

As long as the turrets and the reticle match, I don't care.
Unread 05-26-2017, 03:13 AM
Bronze Member

Mil. I have completely converted over 100% to standardize my shooting. No more converting holdover or traversing and so forth. MOA is more precise in clicks in terms of measurement but not by that much. All my dope charts, tables and foundation of shooting is in mil/mil to simplify what I do. Since i actually use my reticle for ranging the formulas are just as simple as any, especially in metric. Yes i use formulas and write out most of my calculations. I learned MOA and mils in the military and I just picked matching mil reticle and turrets out of personal preference, comfort and simplicity. Really it doesn't matter to me either way besides that.
Unread 05-26-2017, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

I think the rapid growth in the PRS/Tactical sports have greatly influenced the growth iin MIL based scope sales. Just about everyone uses MIL based scopes but I'm not sure if it's a factor when it comes to winning matches. While I own both types, for long range hunting I prefer MOA. The major reason is the ease and speed that I can "mentally" calculate wind dopes without the need for a calculator or chart. I also find it easier to memorize elevation dopes, and quickly determine antler/animal size at long range without the need for a calculator. I'm sure long term conditioning and familiarity with the imperial measurement system plays a big role in my preference.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt