Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: At long range do you dial, holdover, etc.
Dial using handheld software 126 24.71%
Dial using drop chart data 141 27.65%
Use a graduated reticle 75 14.71%
Use a BDC yardage turret 82 16.08%
Holdover 78 15.29%
Pass on the shot 8 1.57%
Voters: 510. You may not vote on this poll

At long range do you dial, BDC turret, graduated reticle, holdover, etc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: At long range do you dial, BDC turret, graduated reticle, holdover, etc?

BDC Reticle & Nikon Spot on ballistics program. With my .243 Win I've only gone out to 600 yards, but the BDC system does seem to work. Consistent first shot hits at 300, 400, 500, and 600. I have not shot paper to see group sizes over 300, but do consistently hit the 4"x6" rectangle gong at 400.

Enter the scope model, bullet & velocity & atmospheric conditions & angle of shooting for your load and like any calculator, the progam (on PC & iPhone) gives you all the stats, and it also gives the distance that corresponds to each BDC reticle circle for a given magnification on your scope. So zero for example at 200, and the first ring is 280 yards, 2nd ring is 375 and so on. Pretty cool, but the mil dot tactical guys probably wouldn't like it compared to what they use. However these scopes only cost between $300 - $700, not $3,000!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
BDC Reticle & Nikon Spot on ballistics program. With my .243 Win I've only gone out to 600 yards, but the BDC system does seem to work. Consistent first shot hits at 300, 400, 500, and 600. I have not shot paper to see group sizes over 300, but do consistently hit the 4"x6" rectangle gong at 400.

Enter the scope model, bullet & velocity & atmospheric conditions & angle of shooting for your load and like any calculator, the progam (on PC & iPhone) gives you all the stats, and it also gives the distance that corresponds to each BDC reticle circle for a given magnification on your scope. So zero for example at 200, and the first ring is 280 yards, 2nd ring is 375 and so on. Pretty cool, but the mil dot tactical guys probably wouldn't like it compared to what they use. However these scopes only cost between $300 - $700, not $3,000!

Shooting4fun, Welcome to the BDC Club. I had an opportunity to try a BDC rticle Scope many years ago before they became so popular. I was hunting draws next to a cut milo field and had 2 does come out together. Well this is more about grain fed fill your freezer hunting then big horns ( my biggest up there is 177 inches). Anyway, I shot the first one at less then 50 yards, watched the other run off, she just happened to stop at a cedar bush I ranged at 427 yards. I figured what the hey, I had practiced using the BDC circles at the range, may as well practice in real time. I put the 2nd circle on her, pulled the trigger on my .300 win mag and next thing I was cleaning 2 deer. I never did give that scope back! Since that day 6-7 years ago, I have added BDC reticle scopes to my other deer rifles as well as my sons. I also had the pleasure of taking a position with Nikon 11 months ago as well. Worked out well considering I have been a faithful consumer for 15 plus years. Nikon and Spot On Ballistic Program really can help make you a more accurate shooter.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...0Nikon3-12.jpg
Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 AM

I hold over for wind. As for elevation on some of my scopes I have reticles that allow for hold over. Then on Leupolds I have used use a BDC dial like the CDS. I like using hold over for close in since it allows for quick follow up shots, but for the accurate longrange shot nothing is better than dialing.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM
SPONSOR

I do all of the above except holdover.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Bman- I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago when I contacted Nikon about the BDC program features and actually spoke with the Product Manager of the BDC software. I had some questions that he cleared those up, and I offered a few suggestions as well. I have been a PM and CS/Field Service Engineer & manager for most of my career, and was impressed that Nikon actually had someone who would talk to the public.

One thing that is a bit odd is that on both of my Monarchs, the parallax adjustment demarcations do not correspond to actual yardage at all. In other words, clear focus is achieved at a point where the numbers are 40 - 100 yards off from the actual distance of the object.

The tactical turrets that came with my 2nd Monarch, the 5-20x, is a nice addition for those situations where we want to dial as well. A few windage indicators would be a welcome addition too.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Unregistered

None of the above. Strap on a Burris Eliminator and pull the trigger.