Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES 1,078 62.42%
NO 649 37.58%
Voters: 1727. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25elk View Post
Yes, many times, both on foot and by horseback. I grew up being alone in the woods and feel safer out there than when 'in town' as a matter of fact. When camping solo you can't be too careful, however. A simple sprain or broken limb can be life-threatning and you had better be a survival expert if the worst happens. And believe it or not, even experts can get lost!! Over my life long career of hunting I have had to stay put overnight without camping gear on four different occasions...twice with my father. Once we spent the night standing up in thigh deep water in the Atchafalaya River basin when the fog set in so heavily it was impossible to see more than the length of your arm. On another duck hunt with my dad we spent a full day and a night in our 12' boat due to fog setting in down in the Missippi Delta, and my father was the best outdoorsman I have ever known. The other two times were in the mountains, once in CO and once in NM.
I know about getting lost too. 3 times for me , once in a swamp, once on top of a mountain locked in with fog/clouds , another in wooded revines in semi flat land ... yup been there done that too.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Every year. My buddy and I don't have mules or horses we do it the hard way, we go a few weeks before the season starts haul in the heavy stuff get our camp in order. Clean the cash out clean up the trails. One way its 7.25 mile. We go in that far because WA state onlyhas a few gmu that allow a big bull elk to be take with out a special permit. I don't bother with the lottery I have had very good success in the past 20 years hunting general public late on the early hunt my dad hunted the same land I do. The camp we use was my dads along time ago I have never seen anybody else in there have never found sign of people being in there. We put the work in to make our hunts successful. I guided for 8 years in Alaska not far from Larson bay on Kodiak all the camps I worked were outfitter no lodge. To sum it up your odds are way better the farther you get away from the roads
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdude01 View Post
Every year. My buddy and I don't have mules or horses we do it the hard way, we go a few weeks before the season starts haul in the heavy stuff get our camp in order. Clean the cash out clean up the trails. One way its 7.25 mile. We go in that far because WA state onlyhas a few gmu that allow a big bull elk to be take with out a special permit. I don't bother with the lottery I have had very good success in the past 20 years hunting general public late on the early hunt my dad hunted the same land I do. The camp we use was my dads along time ago I have never seen anybody else in there have never found sign of people being in there. We put the work in to make our hunts successful. I guided for 8 years in Alaska not far from Larson bay on Kodiak all the camps I worked were outfitter no lodge. To sum it up your odds are way better the farther you get away from the roads

Elkdude01, You're a true hunter. Been there, done that. We went back in away from roads , no paths , no other hunters... Saw things many never will see.

A true hunter doesn’t measure his success or failures, by his kills alone.” _
Robert Tucker
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Silver Member

If you havnt back packed you havnt hunted!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

I recently moved to South Dakota from Texas and am planning a backpack hunt for this fall in the Black Elk wilderness area in the Black Hills National Forest. I have spent a lot of time backpacking in wilderness areas in NM and CO but never while hunting and I can hardly wait.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

First time is great, You will do it again too after that.

I slept in a tent in the north country, with a small coleman stove to heat it. I had a larger tent. positioned slightly over the opening, and that way we had a fire close for cooking. Could sit in the outer tent and drink coffee.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 AM

Our camp has a 12x12 frame we built, a tarp goes on for a roof and we have a place to hang wet gear place to eat our meals. It is really nice to have when you get up in the mornng and it rain to beat hell, that's the worst its hard to start a long day when your wet before you ever started. We have a cash we built were most of our camp stuff stays up there all year long. Its alot of work to take all that stuff in 7 miles but we did for several years. As much work as it is I would change a thing I love the feeling you get when you see that big bull and know that your the only one looking at.... well my best friend might be looking too