Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES 1,078 62.42%
NO 649 37.58%
Voters: 1727. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 AM

Re: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Most of the hunting I do here in NZ is off track. We call it fly camping as many just use a nylon fly cover sheet along with a bivvy bag rather than a tent. Recently spent a week on the tops of the kaimanawha mountains in the middle north island, shot two Sika stags but nothing flash.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Bronze Member

Living in Montana it takes hours to walk to some of the better area's on public land. I don't have horses so I pack as much as I can handle and take off walking. I have had great luck on those trips also.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Last year a friend and I mountain biked into the Los Padres National Forest in California during the first week of deer season. Saw a few does and fawns, but not a single buck. Still it was a fun trip. We should have waited until the last week of the season - the rut started then that year.

At my age (54), mountain biking is definitely the way to go. On fire roads, you can cover ground quickly. We carried our camping gear on trailers.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

I spent two weeks backpacking the Rockies in CO for an elk hunt. Ten days of scouting and 5 days season. Would certainly do it again.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrwgnwalt View Post
I can relate to that ! The wall tent is a welcome sight and a warm dry place at the end of a day's hunt here in MT, and I've gotten too old and fat to sleep comfortably (or at all) on the ground any more... :eek:

- Walt
I was an Eagle Scout and I spent many a night in the woods and later on in life trout fishing in Pennsylvania's National Forests and of course packing in and out.

It's interesting how no matter where you tent, when you unroll your pad and bag and get in, there is always a rock underneath the tent floor...right under your pad.....

Then there is the rain but we won't go into that here.....

I'm too old for that stuff now. Nothing beats the lodge or the Holiday Inn. Clean sheets, room service, hot tub, cocktails..................
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
Unfortunately no, not yet at least. I'd like to get up into some alpine looking for Mulies next fall.
Finally been able to get in some back pack hunting. My wife and I went Mt Goat hunting where we saw some goats but didn't connect. It was some spectacular country up there.
This last fall I scouted some alpine for Mulie's. I saw 30 bucks one morning about a month before season opener. On the second day of the season I saw a dozen nice bucks but didn't pull the trigger on any of them. Next fall I plan on going there again and either taking one myself or bringing another hunter with me that's less fussy :-)

Fozzy
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 AM

For elk, mule deer and big horn sheep.