Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES 1,078 62.42%
NO 649 37.58%
Voters: 1727. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 AM

Re: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Definitely have most of the hunting I've done has been backpack, I've been raised in a family where we all love deer stalking, my Grandfather was a forest ranger after the war, and my uncles and family friends were deer cullers in their early days so backpack hunting has all ways been the norm, normally for a weekend or a bit longer like up to 5-7 days at a time all though in their deer culling days my uncles and mates would be in for up to six weeks backpacking with maybe a supply drop. Wasn't hunting but just spent the weekend backpacking up a local river with my stepson trout fishing, was a good warm up as I'm still recovering from a broken ankle.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Oh heck yea, I kilt one with a Q-tip and tobacco juice once...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

No and I have no intention to do---if the Chef is not there that weekend Forget It LOL!

Yes he is a Real Executive Chef!! We eat well!!! Bernd Schmitt Google him.... Notice the German writing on the shirt. Lucky one of my best friends is a Chef and likes to hunt!!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

I said no.

Didn't take the camp gear. When I called for my dad, when I was still a kid, we went out the eve. before. The elk weren't answering us/me durring the day. Had great moonlight, and thought we could try tracking them by their buggles in the night. It was a fun night, too bad we weren't successful.

The situation is the same every time I go hunt antelope. We can't seem to get away from the land owner before sun-up. We end up crossing the fence, about the same time the ant. herd does 1000yds from us. We end up trying to head them off with the low ridge between us and the herd. Never pans out. We end up following them 4+mi, no roads in bentonite flats, 'till we get close enough to shoot.

I'd like to go in the eve before to get the land owner business out of the way. Take a bivy sack and suck it up for the night. Sleep in the ambush hide, and shoot them when they cross the fence in the morning. Should be three mi. back to the truck from there.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Bronze Member

I live in northern bc canada so every year come august 1 me and a few buddies take off sheep hunting, living out of our backpacks for ten days i love it and cant wait to share that experience with my two boys who are 4 and 5 so a few years to go. 2010 we hiked 50 miles according to my gps with 90lbs packs the majority of the time this was dumb never will i take apack that heavy again, will try to keep it under 70 from now on.
If youve never done it it's an experience no one can fully explain the beauty of the country and knowing whatever animal you get you earned I LOVE IT.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

l can kill an ibex every day out of the cars window on the main road if l wanted to but thats not real hunting now is it? hunting for me is to spend much time as posible in the wildernes with the camp fire going at night, right? and do some baiting in the full moon for wolves and bears, yes?
ohh man love hunting. now l wanna go tomorow :=)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Oh yes many times in the early seventies. Chilly nights under the stars.
Never successful however.
Very poor luck hunting but the outing was fantastic.
No Sasquatch or alien abductions either though.
Always pretty quiet when you have a gun.
It's the things you see when you don't. Like game!
Oh well way too old and fat now to lay on the cold cold ground if I can help it.

A right of passage though among other things. Shouldn't be missed!