Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES 1,047 62.21%
NO 636 37.79%
Voters: 1683. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

Yes, A number of times.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Bronze Member

Unfortunately no, not yet at least. I'd like to get up into some alpine looking for Mulies next fall.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

Once, about ten years ago... No... I really did! The hard work was not the back pack, it was my 300 pounds. Down hill, no problems... I was just a kid, 44 y/o.

About 4 years ago I did it also on horseback, I know the man said backpack, but my backpack was on my back. Neither the horse nor me were very happy.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 01-21-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Yes I have done lots of it over the years, both hunting and guiding backpack hunts for goat, sheep, grizzly, mule deer, caribou, moose, elk, etc.

Lots of fun, but as I get older I prefer letting horses pack out the moose and elk.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 PM

I have backpack hunted since 1964 and intend to continue until I am 90, I am only 62 now. It is the only hunting I enjoy and is my idea of how to really relax and savour life.

I have backpacked recreationally since 1956 and as a major aspect of my wilderness employment from 1965 to 1993. It is simply a part of who I am and my favourite activity along with playing with my Rottweilers and reading plus messing about with guns.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

I started back packing back in 1985. I knew that the big bucks where just out of reach on my day hunts from base camp. So I decided to start back packing after them. I went out and bought a nice Kelty frame pack along with a bunch of very expensive light weight gear. I got a light weight tent, sleeping bag, pad, lantern, stove, and cook set. When I put all that light weight gear in my pack it suddenly wasn't light weight anymore, along with the large cans of beef stew, chili, sardines and kipper snacks, two gallons of water, and assorted candy bars. That first trip was hell. I hated every step up that mountain. I learned as I went along. After a few years I learned I still hated back packing, so I decided to start horse packing. That's where the real adventure is. That first year with a horse I didn't have the slightest clue how to pack one, so I just got a few duffel bags and a bunch of rope and started tying stuff onto the saddles. My first trip dragin horses up the hill was an adventure to say the least. After seven hours on the trail walking and leading the horses up to Ten Thousand Foot ridge in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, just at dark I had my first wreck. Horses were stampeding in every direction slinging gear all over the mountains. After running around in the dark for a couple hours I finally had the horses gathered up and searched around and found my tent and sleeping bag. After puking all over the trail I finally found a flat spot to set up my tent. I crawled into my sleeping bag and shivered all night. The next morning I was still sick as a dog so I just searched around till I found most of my gear and packed up and headed down the mountain. I was hooked and I've been dragin a pack string ever since. I still have my pack and all the gear just as a reminder of how much I hated back packin!
Wes
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Bronze Member

My favorite kind of huntin!!