Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES 1,077 62.40%
NO 649 37.60%
Voters: 1726. You may not vote on this poll

Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
PUBLISHER

Defined as carrying your camp with you for at least one night on a hunt.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

In the mid 60ís my cousin killed a buck while we were hunting in the central coast range of California. The buck was way down in a canyon and in those days we would take turns packing them out whole. It was shot at 10:30 am and it was 8:00 pm when we got it back to the jeep. That dang buck almost killed us both in the 90 degree heat that is typical in the coast range in August. That was the last time we brought a buck out whole. We went and bought a couple junky frame packs and started using them but it wasnít long before we realized that we could go the whole weekend with the right stuff and still stay light enough to get into country that was virtually un-hunted.

When we finally got things figured out we were using internal framed packs (Madden) with compression straps which we made and installed our selves so when packing out meat we could keep it high up on our backs and when empty could be cinched down tight to keep the noise down. You could also work a brushy hillside and not get hung up like the earlier external framed packs would. A 3 day setup weighed 28 lbs which included 2 canteens of water. Things did not change much in the way of gear over the years except when in the high country (Utah in those days) we packed a 4 season tent between us that weighed 8 lbs but could be broken down into two pieces and we did not have to worry about water. We never took the packs off so when it got dark or you had a buck down in some hellish place everything was with you. We learned that staying out over 3 days the way we hunted was non productive as we would just get to tired to pound it the way one should so we would plan the hunts to end up back at the jeep by the end of the third day or later if packing meat

Still use the same pack today but rarely stay out over night. Now that I have horses and am older the warm wall tent and cot is much more appealing then the ground and a therm-a-rest.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

Back Pack Hunting- Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post

Defined as carrying your camp with you for at least one night on a hunt.
First time was 1968 in Alaska in the Fort Greeley area in the interior. Two days in the rain and fog up and down the mountains looking for Dall sheep. In the military at that time. Net result- full curl Dall ram. Model 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag with factory ammo. Can't say what bullet weight, nor distance of the shot. Rifle zero'd at 250 yards and had to hold 4 feet over the rams back for the shot. One shot- heart was laying in the chest cavity. I would attribute most of this shots success to just luck and instinct. I had never shot at those ranges before. Since I don't know what bullet I was shooting I am assuming that the shot was somewhere close to 600 yards.

Took all the rest of the day to hike back down the mountain and back up the other side of the valley to where the sheep lay. Packed out head, cape and all the boned out meat. Wasn't really crazy about the meat.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

No, I have not but this year will be first. I have backpacked in the past and have done a whole lot of hunting from a base camp. We already have the hunt pretty much planned and will be heading into the Trinity Wilderness of California for some really big Black Tail. The 338 Lapua will be here in about a month so I should easily be able to shoot across the canyons up there.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Still use the same pack today but rarely stay out over night. Now that I have horses and am older the warm wall tent and cot is much more appealing then the ground and a therm-a-rest.
I can relate to that ! The wall tent is a welcome sight and a warm dry place at the end of a day's hunt here in MT, and I've gotten too old and fat to sleep comfortably (or at all) on the ground any more... :eek:

- Walt
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Bronze Member

No, I haven't-yet. Sure would like to try it this fall,if I am healed and recovered, during our bow season.

Archdlx

"Teenagers scare the living chit outta me!"
Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

What other kind is there?

90% of my hunting is backpack hunting in Alaska. Has been since 1978. Not many roads up here compared to the 48 states. Moose, caribou, sheep, goat, black bear, and grizzly/brown bear. I hunt blacktail deer too but don't usually backpack in and tent overnight for the deer hunts. Usually staying in a cabin and generally day-hunting by skiff and/or on foot.

Good hunting!