Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which electronics do you use?
Rangefinder 1,762 88.01%
GPS 1,359 67.88%
"In the field" ballistics program 646 32.27%
Chronograph 1,182 59.04%
Trail camera 701 35.01%
Weather station or wind meter 811 40.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2002. You may not vote on this poll

Which electronics do you use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which electronics do you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman940 View Post
Thanks JE,
I guess I am stuck for a while anyway. Already opened the box.
I'll see how things pan out for a bit.
I have been a shooter for a long time but now I am trying to be something more.
Not competitive, just better!
I am a hunter first so making a good humane shot is my primary reason for spending more time at the range plus my son goes with me and he will hopefully come away with life lessons...you just never know though.
I have been shooting the Nikon BDC scopes on most of my and my sons big game rifles so knowing our load better will make us more accurate shooters. Now that we have discovered the Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology using the circles on our scopes will be a snap.
Again, Thanks for all the info on Chrono., I guess they are like anything, you can alawys find someone who likes one brand over another, Maybe I should have inquired a tad more,lesson learned for me.
Any chronograph is better than none !!!!

I no longer compete in matches I just compete against my self and hunt.

Have fun and enjoy the chronograph.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

I know some guys are gonna disagree but I recently set up my chrony beta behind a Oehler 35p and shot thru them @ the same time and much to my surpise my Chrony game me the same numbers everytime (20fps lower but I figured that was because it was behind the Oehler). I will say that my Beta gives me false readings and trouble more often though. However this past Sunday I could not get that same Oehler to give me any kind of reading everytime I would shoot it would read 0000, any ideas what could be wrong with it, we pretty much tried everything?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Range finder: Leupold RX-III (The only not good Leupold product I have used so far)

Ballistic programs: JBM Ballistics on my Iphone

Weather Station: Kestrel 3500

Chronograph: F1 Master Chrony

GPS: Garmin E-Trex
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

what do you use the GPS for?
thanks,
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

If you shoot one way over there on the other side of a canyon you can use some GPS models and a range finder to get you to the animal. Point the GP
S at the animal, input the range and mark it as a way point. Then follow the Route to the animal.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

Thank you, very helpful. I never thought about using my GPS for that.
Very helpful.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
I try to make sure everyone in the group has an FRS radio. While some may consider it unethical to use radios to assist experienced or trophy hunters in finding or stalking game, I think I even read it violates B&C rules, radios are certainly helpful in calling for assistance dragging one out, coordinating meeting back at the truck for lunch or for emergencies.

I do have a chrono but it doesn't come on hunting trips.

Poole
I use the radios as well. Our whole hunting group does. They have proven extremely valuable to us. My brother has epilepsy and 3 out of the 5 major ceisures he has had have been while hunting. No way in hell will we hunt without being able to be in constant contact with him. If he doesnt answer the radio call, we go searching. I check in on him every 15 minutes.

Last year an unfortunate shot wounded and elk and I can honestly say that radios saved the day. We were able to spread out and a few non-hunters in our group found the elk but could not pull a trigger. They radiod those that could, told the location, and boom dead elk 15 minutes later. That is ethical in my eyes, I don't care who you are!