Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?
Yes, of course! 926 45.15%
No, I don't shoot over 300 yards. 238 11.60%
No, but I really should use one. 887 43.25%
Voters: 2051. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Re: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Well, I am not trying to convince anyone that my approach is better or that people should even try it. And, its not my original idea. So, I am not trying to defend it. I do think this is an interesting conversation, however, and I welcome your comments. Here is a question to ponder... If I always cant my rifle 5 degrees to the right (call that my natural shooting position because of the way the rifle fits my body) and sight it in from that consistent position, won't I hit the target? The bore is a tube and even if I were to align a scope with the rifle at any angle it would hit the target if it was sighted in from that position and fired at that angle. I don't see that having the rifle level is necessary... what is necessary is that the angle it is sighted in at is consistent. Level is a convenient benchmark to use because you can be sure the rifle is at the same angle each time it is fired... I don't have anything that tells me that I am at the same consistent angle when I shoot and for many people, that would be a disadvantage... but I practice at the range all the time and just like any athlete who develops muscle memory, my position becomes consistent and so are the groups I fire. Just ask the mounts that cover the walls on my 40 foot trophy room downstairs what they think... there not talking. LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Silverdoctor, I think the difference here is , distance and you may not be turning turrets. When we dial up our turrets for a long range shot, all needs to be level because we just left our sight in zero position. If that turret or reticle is on a canted path you will miss point of aim and the farther it is elevated the farther the miss.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 AM

That is a good point. The further the distance to the target, the more critical it is to have a consistent aiming point... especially when you are adjusting for wind and other factors. Having that level as a benchmark makes that job a lot easier. I started on a rifle team when I was 11 years old and competed through college. Since then, I have spent my time hunting deer, elk, etc. I seldom have to take a shot beyond 400 yards and most of the time I am shooting between 250 and 300. I practice regularly at 300 with my rifle sighted dead at 200... for me the key is practice and being consistent. I am sure if I was firing at 1000 yards I would probably use a level. Thank you for your comment.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

I use the Holland scope levels, mounted on the tube.

My challenge is to figure a better way to make sure the level is level... and to make sure the rifle and scope and level are all plumbed. So far, I haven't found a foolproof method other than laborious trial and error.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
I use the Holland scope levels, mounted on the tube.

My challenge is to figure a better way to make sure the level is level... and to make sure the rifle and scope and level are all plumbed. So far, I haven't found a foolproof method other than laborious trial and error.
G&L
See my post on page 8 of this thread. I found a great way to get the whole system leveled together. I think this is what you are referring to.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
G&L
See my post on page 8 of this thread. I found a great way to get the whole system leveled together. I think this is what you are referring to.
Saw that, thanks. That is the method I use, but I find the rifle doesn't stay rock solid level on the bipod when I peer through it to level the crosshairs, and then the crosshairs move a minute amount as I'm tightening them.

What I need is a rifle vise to level the rifle in, so that my leaning on it won't throw it off. And then I need the sharpie line to be far enough out so that parallax isn't an issue.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Ok so I'll admit that compared to you guys I'm a sure 'nough rookie!!! Ha ha,,,no really I am...I've been shooting and hunting and a police officer for 20+ yrs,,,I like to shoot long range and have been for several yrs,,,Now my long range & you guys is some different,,,long range to me is 400 yds +...I've killed several deer at 450-475 yds ranges,,,but when I saw this poll on scope levels,,well it just made sense to me even though I've never heard of it before...so I just ordered one for my 7mmRemMag....So I write all this to tell you guys ,,,,,thanks....