Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?
Yes, of course! 926 45.15%
No, I don't shoot over 300 yards. 238 11.60%
No, but I really should use one. 887 43.25%
Voters: 2051. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Re: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

I don't think they are a gimmick, but think about this. If you place you rifle on a level bench and then make the scope level, it will be perpendicular to a flat level base. If you are at a range and you use a level to make sure you have zero cant, it will be aligned perfectly. But, will you be in a natural shooting position? Maybe at the range, but not hunting. That is why I level my scope when I am in my natural shooting position. If I don't, I will have to move my body to an unnatural position to square it up. Off a bench it won't matter much, but try it when you are shooting at a mule deer in the hill country or mountains and you are sitting on anything but a level surface. Then you may have to hold your body in an awkward position to square it up and not make as effective shot. I want to fit the rifle to my body and not my body to the rifle.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdoctor View Post
I don't think they are a gimmick, but think about this. If you place you rifle on a level bench and then make the scope level, it will be perpendicular to a flat level base. If you are at a range and you use a level to make sure you have zero cant, it will be aligned perfectly. But, will you be in a natural shooting position? Maybe at the range, but not hunting. That is why I level my scope when I am in my natural shooting position. If I don't, I will have to move my body to an unnatural position to square it up. Off a bench it won't matter much, but try it when you are shooting at a mule deer in the hill country or mountains and you are sitting on anything but a level surface. Then you may have to hold your body in an awkward position to square it up and not make as effective shot. I want to fit the rifle to my body and not my body to the rifle.
Sorry if I have misunderstood you but you said, "I level my scope when I am in my natural shooting position?" Does this mean that when in your natural shooting position that the gun itself is always perfectly level? If one initially mounts the scope level to an unlevel firearm won't you still have the same effect as cant anyway? I believe the idea is to keep the entire rifle/scope system leveled as a unit so that the scope is always perfectly aligned over the bore center line when setting up for a shot in the field using a scope leveler. This is why when mounting scopes I like to put the firearm on a bipod and level the gun off of the ring bases. Next I set the scope in the rings and view through the scope at a truly level sharpie line on freezer paper at 10 yards and line up the vertical crosshair with that level line. Now I know that the scope reticle is truly leveled to the firearm, only then will I mount the scope leveler to the rifle/scope combo that is sitting in a completely level position as a complete unit.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 AM

I see your point. I think if your rifle is level and the scope is level your shot will be true as long as you level the rifle before you pull the trigger... no cant. I think most people set their scope to level while the rifle is on a bench that is level. I don't... I sit on the ground with a bipod on my rifle in the position I feel very comfortable shooting. Then, with the rifle at my shoulder in my natural shooting position (for hunting), I rotate the scope in the rings until cross hairs are on a target that is level and has perpendicular lines on it (I use a plumb to set the vertical line). I believe that I won't have a tendency to cant the rifle now because I am in a natural comfortable position and from that position my rifle is set on target. I am fitting the sight of the rifle to me instead of adjusting my body during a shot to make sure the rifle is square and level. This isn't my original idea. I learned this from a gunsmith who ran a local sporting goods store in our area. He regularly shot varmints at very long range and had a wall full of recognition for his talents. He was the first person to show me this technique and I have to say, it has served me well. Thanks for your reply...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Howde first of all there is no natural shooting position,you adapt the human to the tool. The sights are alined both horizontal and vertical to the axis of the bore,you will never be accurate if this is not true. Why make a straight bullet only to shoot it off target.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Howde first of all there is no natural shooting position,you adapt the human to the tool. The sights are alined both horizontal and vertical to the axis of the bore,you will never be accurate if this is not true. Why make a straight bullet only to shoot it off target.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomestone View Post
+1, very well said tombstone
Old 06-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think silverdoctor will have anybody agreeing with him from long range hunting's long range shooters. I'm already surprised
he believes what he says.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!