Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?
Yes, of course! 927 45.18%
No, I don't shoot over 300 yards. 238 11.60%
No, but I really should use one. 887 43.23%
Voters: 2052. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

YES, also use heavy duty tripod with 3 levels on it also
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

Been working on this for a while and if my math is correct, 1 degree of cant is equal to 3.3 inches at 1000 yards. This is for a 7 MM at 3000 fps high BC bullet. It is determined by the height of the arc of the bullet. I'm dialing 22 MOA . Am working on canting the scope to the left 3 degrees to eliminate spin drift from the wind dope equation . I cant the scope 3 degrees to the left and put the scope level at 0 or level. The goal is to shoot a ladder test at 100 yards and be dead on at 100 yards and be 1 inch (MOA) left when turned up to 1000 yards. This results in being much more accurate when doping light winds . The same wind value can now be held for the same wind speed in both left and right winds.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM

No... I don't use a level because I have set my scope to the natural alignment of my body on the rifle. I have found over the years that when I mount the scope, I can adjust it based on how I hold the rifle rather than off of a stationary level bench. When I shoot it in the field, it naturally comes to perpendicular based on my own body position and is comfortable... I don't have to worry about it being canted one way or the other.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Topgunner I just got back from the city,with a scope level. Crosshair Leveling Kit. www.wheelerengineering.com and I put it on my Ruger Target 25-06 to see if my scopes horizontal plane is level with a horizontal plane on the rifles receiver. I found it is not,I believe if this is not true the scope adjustments vertical and horizontal will not produce the best results at long range shooting. At 27 bucks my ladder test should be better than now. I see what happpens when I get to the range.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM

I use a level to mount my scopes.After the mounting i do not use one.I shoot bench out to 600 yards now and i have not had a issue yet. I do want to get one,but other more important things are calling first.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

I secure my rifles in a craddle and level the rifle before mounting bases, rings, and scopes. For most shooting situations the ACI and Anti-Cant Level aren't required.
However when hunting and shooting at steep angles and across ridges at long distances, its critical to have those items at your disposal. In the forum there is an article by Darrell Holland (Sgt-USMC-SEMPER FIDELIS) that explains perpendicularity adjustments of your rifle scope. It's an excellent topic that relates to cant.

Gonzo
Sgt of Marines (Ret.)
Disabled Veteran
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?-300-win-mag-2.jpg   Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?-300-win-mag-3.jpg  

Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

For some to say that scope levels are a "Gimick" is just very ignorant. We're talking about the laws of physics here, they exist whether we want to believe they do or not. If you have significant cant at significant distance you're going to have big problems after you pull the trigger. I remember years ago when I first got into long range hunting I installed a fold up level on top of my scope. One day while waiting out an elk across a canyon I decided to check my equalibriam against my scope level. I was set up prone on a sloped, closed off road looking across the canyon. I got behind the gun and adjusted the bipod legs to set the rifle up to where I felt was level. I folded up my scope level and was amazed at how far off I was, without a doubt at 1000 yards that shot would be a total miss based off of what I thought was level.