Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?
Yes, of course! 927 45.18%
No, I don't shoot over 300 yards. 238 11.60%
No, but I really should use one. 887 43.23%
Voters: 2052. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoK34 View Post
I secure my rifles in a craddle and level the rifle before mounting bases, rings, and scopes. For most shooting situations the ACI and Anti-Cant Level aren't required.
However when hunting and shooting at steep angles and across ridges at long distances, its critical to have those items at your disposal. In the forum there is an article by Darrell Holland (Sgt-USMC-SEMPER FIDELIS) that explains perpendicularity adjustments of your rifle scope. It's an excellent topic that relates to cant.

Gonzo
Sgt of Marines (Ret.)
Disabled Veteran
Dear Sgt Gonzo,
Thank You Sir for your service!! I as a Retired Police Lieutenant (Disabled) understand what it means for someone to sincerely Thank You!!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Mr. Sackett,

I served as a patrolmen for 4 years after getting out of the Marine Corps. Went on to get an Engineering Degree and moved into construction management etc.
Thank you and likewise to become a Lt in law enforcement takes tremendous effort.

My gunsmith's primary customers are FBI, Customs and several regional agencies.

Gonzo
Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I put a Flatline on one of my rifles and for a while I always checked it just before a shot, and its always level. Unless im in a really odd ball shooting position I don't use it.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

yes I do
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 AM

You need a choice of No, I can shoot long distance just fine without one.

there are a ton of thousand yard + shots made never using a level. That said I also don't twist turrets, I use Mil-Dots or ballistic reticles because I find them far faster. If I were a turret twister I would use a level for sure.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-29-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

How many mil dots does your scope have? The last time I checked, it took about 25 minutes or 10 mil dots for 1000 yards. 1000 yard bench shooters most all have a flat stock that sits on a leveled base and I don't know any of them that would shoot without knowing their gun is level. Most shooters will argue the first time they shoot with a level that the scope is canted but it is the shooter and not the scope . 1 degree of cant is 3 inches at 1000 yards and a new level user will notice an immediate improvement in horizontal spread . For about $20.00 , I'll take the chance that it will improve my shooting!!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I went for years never using one and like many have stated, did fine hitting long rang targets. Started using one a while back and was amazed at the difference in improved lateral group size and much more precise hits on game at extend ranges. While it can't be proven, I think I may have attributed too much lateral spread to wind. When I first put the level on my rifle I set my sights on target in what I believed to be perfectly level, then eyed my level to check. Not as much with target shooting, but in hunting positions, I was surprised at the high percentage of times that the rifle was canted. I now have them on all my LR rigs. I like the Holland and Flatline products.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt