Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?
YES 961 27.65%
NO 1,676 48.23%
NO, but I really should! 838 24.12%
Voters: 3475. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

I've been making my own since 1964. Learned to apply layers of hard rubber padding with duct tape in the Marine Corps. I've refined it over the years.

I like Shawn Carlocks design.

I sling my rifle over my off shoulder and the sling lays over my backpacker shoulder strap. I'm comfortable with the set up.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?-300-win-mag-2.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Hunter View Post
I just put on an Eagle stock pack. To bring the pack up for my cheek weld, I attached velcro strips to the velcro already inside the Eagle. I cut 1" x 4" strips and used the adhesive backing to attach male and a female strips back to back. I added 4 of these combos inside the front of the stock pack and 3 to the inside back of the pack. My cheek weld is now working and the velcro is rock solid for my cheek bone.

I really thought about getting a Karsten or Defensive edge, but I really like the fact that I can store an extra clip, range card and earplugs etc. in the pouch on the stock.
Where did you get your Eagle stock pack?

I want to put a Eagle stock pack (black, right hand) on my new Remington 700 LSS 257 Weatherby and I've not been able to find one anywhere.

TIA

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

I have an adj comb on a Surgeon with a McMillan A5 and I like it. Enough so that I had another rifle fitted with another A5 w/adj comb.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 AM

i use them on some of my rifles and even a ruger p9 9mm carbine.

why? i don't know, but it took me quite a while to figure out the "Eye to sight" alignment that is crucial in getting optimum accuracy from ANY sighting system.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I just started using one and feel I should have done so long ago. It doesn't matter so much at the bench, but in field conditions (prone, seated) it really feels more solid in achieving a good consistent, cheek weld. So lightweight, it only weighs a few ounces. This picture doesn't show the new anodized black fasteners that Shawn has on their way to me to replace the aluminum ones now shown.

This is my coyote gun. I will be adding one to my antelope/deer gun also.

I like it so much I just became a dealer!

Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheekpiece at the LRH Gear Shop

Len....

I do exactly the same thing in my business, I do a first article test on a product (in other words I use one myself in a real life situation, under less than optimum conditions) and if it meets my expectations, I become a dealer for that product as well.

First hand experience always outweighs conjecture....

Besides, if you believe in a product you offer, it's so much easier to sell because it usually sells itself.

Yes, I use my Karsten Cheek in the field for shooting. Keeps my cheek firmly in place and allows me to control the eye relief on my scope much better shooting offhand. It gets removed for the bench. Just gets in the way.

I have mine marked with a paint marker at the respective settings (cheek piece height and cant) for myself and my son. That way, it's readily settable for either of us.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
Most stocks are still built for factory rifles with the idea that sighting will be done along iron sights and yet 90 percent are mounted with scopes that sit much higher. For quick mounting and accuracy three points of contact are best: under cheek bone, pistol grip and forehand. Without these accuracy and speed suffers even prone. Does not apply as much for BR.
That can't be true...

Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Damn thing looks like a camel saddle......