Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?
YES 961 27.65%
NO 1,676 48.23%
NO, but I really should! 838 24.12%
Voters: 3475. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

No!
Wait a minute, I don't own a center-fire rifle
Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Not yet. Looking forward to get one, but I am thinking of getting a new synthetic stock for my rifle before I drill holes in my wooden stock. In the meanwhile I will improvise some type of stock pack or something that will raise my cheek weld so I can comfortably shoot in the prone position.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes I used one cheekpiece for my HS-Precision Stock on 338 edge.
Helps aloooooot! More relaxed when shooting and no muscle pains for long shooting sessions.
I have one similar with Defensive Edge type.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

I use one similar to carlock's that I made using kydex. I truely believe that they are necessary. To me it is like using a consistent anchor point when shooting a bow.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejones338 View Post
I use one similar to carlock's that I made using kydex. I truely believe that they are necessary. To me it is like using a consistent anchor point when shooting a bow.

+1. Made one out of 1/8" ABS from the hardware store forming it with my wife's hairdryer. Surface of the ABS has a little texture to it which helps keep my sweathy face from slipping down the cheekpiece. Worked great. Recently made a new one that fits better. Without it is like shooting a shotgun that when you put it to your shoulder doesn't have your eye looking down the comb--not too good. I think it's a necessary 'indexing' item for consistent repeatability and especially for prone long range work. Just my .02 worth of experience.

BTW, I've got a Manner's T2 stock on the way and when I told Tom that I was going to put on Carlock's DE adj. cheekpiece, he was glad to know because he modified the fill in the area where the screws will be. Just an fyi for folks ordering stocks. Might want to run this by your stockmaker. Won't matter with Russo, obviosly, but with composite stocks it might.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 09-07-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM

For about $130 you can get the hardware for an adjustable cheekpiece, it adjusts 3 inches for height and adjusts horizontal too. It is thumbwheel vertical adjustment and wrench for horizontal. It will work on wood, laminate, or synthetic. It comes from Warren tool I think, he's in the NE, google adjustable cheekpiece and you'll find him, he shipped mine the next day.
For those who raise and lower the cheepiece to operate the bolt: I also shoot F-Class competition: just cut a section of your cheekpiece out at the front where the bolt hits it, your face doesn't use that part anyway!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

I do not have one.

Other than a quicker acquisition of the target while you set up what is the advantage of one on a rifle with a scope?

Thanks.

edge.