Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?
YES 961 27.65%
NO 1,676 48.23%
NO, but I really should! 838 24.12%
Voters: 3475. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by submoa View Post
Sidecar your right there not the best looking guns but they do the job great ;-)
Savages, in general, seem to take very little fiddling with to get them to produce tight groups, considering the price of admission, they are quite a bargain IMO.

I've alwayd liked nicely engraved receivers, fine checkering and gold plating but none of that makes the gun a better shooter. I believe Savage is all about an economy firearm thats accurate.

One of the guys at the club has a 25K shotgun and it's fancy but my 1200 Winchester goes bang as well.

I have the same cheek that Len sells on this site and I'd not be without it. I actually marked it for myself and for my son] who has a different position and thus the cheek has to be set differently. I took a paint marker and marked a line where I set it and another where my son needs it set.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Savages, in general, seem to take very little fiddling with to get them to produce tight groups, considering the price of admission, they are quite a bargain IMO.

I've alwayd liked nicely engraved receivers, fine checkering and gold plating but none of that makes the gun a better shooter. I believe Savage is all about an economy firearm thats accurate.

One of the guys at the club has a 25K shotgun and it's fancy but my 1200 Winchester goes bang as well.

I have the same cheek that Len sells on this site and I'd not be without it. I actually marked it for myself and for my son] who has a different position and thus the cheek has to be set differently. I took a paint marker and marked a line where I set it and another where my son needs it set.

I am pleased with my Savage Hunter 111. 7mm rem mag.
It is not in the wall hanger class. Should I be fortunate enough
to win a ribbon or two, it might secure a place on the wall.

It came with an adjustable cheekpiece along with a muzzel Brake.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

I wish I could start a thread about adjustable bases but apparently I cant. Would one of you start that thread? Don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache sniper View Post
I wish I could start a thread about adjustable bases but apparently I cant. Would one of you start that thread? Don't want to hijack this thread.
I don't consider that a hijack, in fact, I'm curious about them. I've never seen one but then I just gpt to see a pair of real tip off bases the other day from 20 years ago, the predecessors to the current quick release bases.

I'm puzzled about one, what is their mechanical configuration and two, how can you maintain a solid and accurate base if the base is moveable???

Inquiring minds want to know, especially mine.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Official Sponsor of LRH

I have seen an adjustable one piece base, that had a wheel at the rear of the base. It was as repeatable as the internal adjustment of any scope and allowed you to set your scope ine the center to the adjustment and leave it there. If I remember correctly it had 100 minutes of adjustment but could be made to have any amount desired. Sure made a lot of sense. Unfortunately the guy developing this passed away last year and I am not sure if anyone else has picked up the project.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Bronze Member

It's a simple design. The top of the base is adjustable and locks positively into the lower section of the base via ridging. I have hammered it with a 32 ounce framing hammer and a 3 # sledge.... the only thing that broke was the screw holding it to the mock up. The frw/rearwd movement is dovetailed so it can't move either. I built it to be rock steady and solid for long range use. Once your desired windage is dead center of your optical zero, you simply mark it top and bottom. It is repeatable and simple. Typically those are the designs that work anyway. So far max adjustment is 50 MOA or so either way Left or right. The prototype worked admirably. The improvement we are working on, is the MOA of adjustment minimums. We are trying for a 2.5 MOA per movement. Right now it's about 5.2 MOA per adjustment. It worked out for my 338 just about 1/2 MOA from dead on optical zero. We are custom building them for receivers that have a flat top or nearly flat, such as the O3 A3 the O3 A4 Springfield bolt , the remington 700 and so on so that we can build em without too many man hours in em. It keeps the cost down to where you and I can afford em IE $40 to $60. As you know welding is generally not recommended on receivers, and most gunsmiths will flat out tell you "NO because of liability AND you void any factory guarantees if you weld". So once it's drilled badly the only real option is to get or build an adjustable base. If you are interested in one contact me. The only hold up for making them for every weapon is this..... cutting a radius in steel is a difficult at best and I am looking at pre radius-ed steel stock which means a BUNCH of research into the radius of various weapons such as Savage's and Tikka's and and and. Besides which, I need to make enough money to stock those pre cut radius 6 ft pieces for the lower halves. By the way I DON'T USE ALUMINUM Steel only.

God Bless
Apache sniper.

PS I really am 1/2 Apache the rest is all Welch Irish and Scottish.....LOL
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Bronze Member

The fact of the matter is this. Typically 90% or so of "adjustable bases" are unable to withstand the pounding of a high powered rifle. The 2112's (Marine armorer's) of My era built a few that worked but chicken s**t regulations implemented a few years later forbade the use of "adjustable mounts" and regulations dictated that ONLY the m40 system would be allowed with one universal mount for all. It's too bad too, many of those 2112's could take an old shot to rattling win 70 and make it into a super match rifle in a couple of days. Personally I prefer the 300 win, the o6 , the 338 and the 50 for long range work. Gunny Hathcock proved the effectiveness of the O6 at 1400 to 1800 yards. The idea being that all of the other aforementioned calibers will shoot further. Almost all sniper weapons from the latter part of Nam to present day had adjustable cheek pieces and adjustable triggers. Considering that they shoot from 500 to 2500 yards and even beyond ....that should tell the story right there. If your gonna shoot long range ya gotta have em. Personally I use a lace on cheek piece adjustable from 3/8 to 3 inches.
The reason being that I don't like plugging holes and I love the nostalgia, and beauty of wood stocks. Be that as it may all of my rifles will have adjustable cheek pieces, adjustable Timney featherweight triggers,and my adjustable bases on em. With the exception of my "ol 45-70 saddle gun.

Semper Fi
Apache sniper