Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?
YES 961 27.67%
NO 1,675 48.23%
NO, but I really should! 837 24.10%
Voters: 3473. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Well thank you sir! I grew up having to "make do" up in the mountains and in the Nevada desert both dad and grandpa were the same same. I will be putting it up for sale as soon as I have determined just how small the increments can be. It won't be long. We are finishing the second prototype now.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submoa View Post
its plastic ;-{ but it does have a full length bedding block ;-}
Can you determine the hole size? and can you show a pic? Oftentimes one can get a plug from the factory and if not, I can cut you two pieces as long as the hole size is standard. From there a small spray can of finish and you won't be able to see there was ever a hole there. For wood stocks you have to match the grain as close a s possible cut them tapered about 5/16ths thick and put a good quality wood glue lightly on the bottom of the taper and GENTLY TAP THEM IN then you simply refinish and all is well. I've done it several times with wood and once with a plastic for a friend.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache sniper View Post
Well thank you sir! I grew up having to "make do" up in the mountains and in the Nevada desert both dad and grandpa were the same same. I will be putting it up for sale as soon as I have determined just how small the increments can be. It won't be long. We are finishing the second prototype now.
Yes Sir, I can appreciate the difficulties in shopping for gun parts and other supplies.
I live in Central Oregon's High desert. 72 mile round trip to Bend and then there is
no guarantee you will find what you are looking for. I buy some on the internet
but shipping costs are a consideration. My son is a sporting goods store owner
and the hard to find stuff is his forte. But even he has to search diligently for some things. Well, back to the adjustable cheekpiece.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Official Sponsor of LRH

I know I am late to the party, and there have been pages of responses to the question. If someone has covered the material I am about to offer, I apologize in advance, I have not read every post in the thread.

From personal experience, I will from now on carry a rifle that has an adjustable cheek piece when I anticipate shooting long range. There are two very important issues that made me reach this decision.

1) 20 MOA Picatiny scope base rail, coupled with a 56 MM objective lens on the scope I prefer. This combination makes even the highest comb on a convention hunting rifle too low to maintain a good cheek weld when in a less than perfect shooting position.

2) Physical stress and fatigue cost me a very nice 300 plus bull Elk, and I don't want to miss another shot because I couldn't maintain a comfortable and relaxed position.

We were filming my elk hunt in Arizona last fall. I was shooting a McMillan EOL Outdoorsman in .338 Lapua. The Elk was 840 yards across a canyon and was a great trophy. I had a slight incline, took a position over my backpack and got ready for the shot. As I settled in Bob said "You can't shoot yet, we don't have enough light." The sun was directly behind the mountain where the elk stood and the closer it got to peaking or the ridge the more critical my eye relief became. Because I was not able to get a good cheek weld and still see through the scope because of the position I was in, I started to get fatigued. I was up on my elbows, my neck was tiring from holding my big noggin up and by the time the light was adequate I was trembling in my upper body. As a result I was frustrated that with just the slightest movement the field of view went completely gold and I wasn't having much luck controlling my body, I pulled the shot and sent the 300 gr Berger right under the elks nose. Because the sun rose over the ridge within 20 of the shot, I never saw the elk through my scope again and though he stayed put, I never got another shot.

I honestly believe that had I had and adjustable cheek piece and been able to rest my cheek as well as my head on the rifle, I would not have tired so quickly and would not have had the issue of roaming in and out of the field of view as a result. I am pretty confident I would have made that shot had I had an adjustable cheek piece on the rifles stock .
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

The reason to use an adjustable cheekpiece doesn't get any better
than your reply.

I shoot once a week at our range with targets out to 1K yards.
usually 40 to 60 rounds. I use an adjustable cheekpiece on my
rifle. The rifle has a 30 mil base and rings, with 10 x 40 x 50
scope.
Shooting with the cheekpiece, the cheek weld and line of sight
are comfortable and relaxed.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Official Sponsor of LRH

To finish the story, we found another good bull a few minutes later on a different part of the canyon. This one was at 780 yards and not in direct line with the sun. And though my position wasn't ideal and just prior to get reading to get down on the rifle, I turned quickly to get my backpack from behind me and ran a dead tree branch into the eyelid of my right eye. Fortunately by eye was not hurt and my vision was clear, but blood was running down my face as it cut the eye lid from corner to corner. Just lucky I apparently had my eye closed at the time.

I got down on the rifle with blood running down all over the stock. I didn't want to wipe the blood away for fear I would get it in my eye and since I shoot right handed and use the right eye it would have been a mess. In any case I made the shot, on camera and the bull fell right where he was standing. Immediately after the shot I stood up and explained on camera that I did not get scope bit, but rather it was a tree limb that got me. We really did have a great time.

If you would like to see what Elk hunting in Arizona Unit 22 south is like watch the episode either on Extreme Outer Limits TV Dec 26th or a week later when Len posts it here on LRH website.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?-battered-bruised.jpg   Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?-6x6.jpg  

Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMillan View Post
To finish the story, we found another good bull a few minutes later on a different part of the canyon. This one was at 780 yards and not in direct line with the sun. And though my position wasn't ideal and just prior to get reading to get down on the rifle, I turned quickly to get my backpack from behind me and ran a dead tree branch into the eyelid of my right eye. Fortunately by eye was not hurt and my vision was clear, but blood was running down my face as it cut the eye lid from corner to corner. Just lucky I apparently had my eye closed at the time.

I got down on the rifle with blood running down all over the stock. I didn't want to wipe the blood away for fear I would get it in my eye and since I shoot right handed and use the right eye it would have been a mess. In any case I made the shot, on camera and the bull fell right where he was standing. Immediately after the shot I stood up and explained on camera that I did not get scope bit, but rather it was a tree limb that got me. We really did have a great time.

If you would like to see what Elk hunting in Arizona Unit 22 south is like watch the episode either on Extreme Outer Limits TV Dec 26th or a week later when Len posts it here on LRH website.

Wow! I have heard a few hunting stories in my 80 years, but this one is a classic.
Nice Bull to boot. Looks like a 6x6.

I hope to run into one next week. We had a freeze last night so, they should be talking loud and clear,