Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?
YES 961 27.65%
NO 1,676 48.23%
NO, but I really should! 838 24.12%
Voters: 3475. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 AM
PUBLISHER

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

I just started using one and feel I should have done so long ago. It doesn't matter so much at the bench, but in field conditions (prone, seated) it really feels more solid in achieving a good consistent, cheek weld. So lightweight, it only weighs a few ounces. This picture doesn't show the new anodized black fasteners that Shawn has on their way to me to replace the aluminum ones now shown.

This is my coyote gun. I will be adding one to my antelope/deer gun also.

I like it so much I just became a dealer!

Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheekpiece at the LRH Gear Shop

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

re: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

I do on one of my rifles and should on another. A couple are perfect without one.

I wish I didn't need one, as it would lighten the rifle a bit and also would have been cheaper to build.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Put a karsten cheek piece on my Savage F/TR 308, and just ordered two more for my other rifles.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

You can get the same results from a Cheek-Eez type stick on comb of proper thickness with a lot less fuss (if you're not allergic to rubber). They stay put, are fairly easy to remove, and the adhesive doesn't harm the stock finish.

Yes, I know the Carlock/Karsten type combs are much more rugged and fashionable; and, of course, they are adjustable...to tell the truth, I'd opt for this type if I wasn't so lazy.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

will one of these work with a monte carlo stock ? I have a McMillan on my mark V and I'm not getting a good cheek weld . I would like to get one of these but I'm not sure it will work on this style of stock . thanks Jim
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

I need to on every rifle, except one that has a custom made stock with custom monte carlo stock, in order to get a goot cheekweld.

JeffVN
Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

I use a Karsten which I took a Dremel to and cut a little slot for removing the bolt. This rifle has a Nightforce and a McMillan HTG style stock. The stocks that Darrell Holland has made by McMillan have a Monte Carlo style and have excellent cheek weld ( at least with a 42mm size objective lens.) I really do like the adjustable cheek pieces but I am becoming more and more convinced that once I obtain that proven and repeatable cheek weld I shouldn't mess with it by raising and lowering to remove the bolt...this has been a flaw of mine in the past. I just bought one from DE and will be putting that on an HS Precision stock that I have...should work out well.

30-338