Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?
YES 1,222 54.31%
NO 1,028 45.69%
Voters: 2250. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

No on mags. More weight, more to go wrong and I am a better shot than that.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM

There is much to be said for, or against, the several configurations available in todays modern repeating hunting rifle. DM's are quick, easily transportable and, as mentioned earlier, can be set up for a variety of hunting senarios. Blind magazines, in my opinion are of little use to anyone except the single shot hunter. Too much damage to the cartridge case from continually "racking" each round in order to empty the magazine. Having said that, the hinged floor plate works for me. DM's limit the outward bullet seating depth for a reloader and in short action rifles such as a Remington, who usually cut chambers with long thoats, DM's don't cut the mustard. Too much jump to the rifling for the accuracy I demand from all my rifles. Higed floor plates allow me to "dump" what remains in the mag well which is then transfered to my stock shell carrier. It could be argued that a DM does essentially the same thing, but in the case of a rifle, say a Savage model 10, the well would remain open to dirt, debris, and yes, critters, unless an empty DM was put in place. Hinged floor plates, once emptied, simply need to be snapped shut and all is well. Pun intended.

CC
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

I prefer a detachable magazine for larger game where traveling from spot to spot involves requiring that the rifle be empty before entering the vehicle. For precision shooting at longer ranges and at small varmints, I use single-shot rifles.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM

i have been with a couple of guys that had their "dm" come loose for what ever reason. one had his fall out and had to backtrack some to find it.
it is convienent when you are in and out of vehicles a lot on certain types of hunts. i still prefer the floor plate style such as the rem. 700 has. i have never yet accidentily opened this design. changing bullets from one type to another. as suggested by someone for a particliar shot at something seems to me to be the wrong thing to do while actually hunting. the secret here is to know your
ballistics on the cartridge you have in the rifle and use it accordingly. ideally, your rifle should be sighted in for a specific cartridge and using another choice may be detrimental to what you are attempting to accomplish because the rifle is not sighted for this new cartridge.
it seems from 40+ yrs. of watching people sight their rifles, most think that if they can score within a 3-4" circle at 100 yds., they are ready to shoot at anything. this is utterly disgusting to me. it is pure and simple laziness and a complete disregard for the game they are attempting to harvest.
nuff said for now
Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 AM

No. Actually, I care neither for the detachable magazine nor for the floorplate.
They all typically make noise when hunting or just carrying. They also provide for a weak spot in the stock. I've seen too many magazines fall out of rifles on hunting trips - I don't recall floorplates opening. However, the enclosed magazine and spring without the cutout in the stock is much more aesthetically appealing, AND it doesn't rattle. Some people will be unsafe with guns regardless of the safety features incorporated, so more devices claiming that they make guns safer aree useless. No mag or floorplate gets my vote!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

Nope.

As some of the DMs for certain rifles may restrict the OAL of the cartridge as used in my rifles.

Jim
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM

This is how I choose them:

Floor plate for big game - more accurate, won't shoot more than I can carry.

DM for varmint - shoot a lot more and change to a higher grain if something bigger crosses my path.

CZ