Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?
YES 1,219 54.30%
NO 1,026 45.70%
Voters: 2245. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCAguns View Post
No, I do not. Had a friend who used a Remington 742 with detachable mag on an elk trip. Got excited and ejected the clip rather than taking off the safety.

IMHO, I think the blind box magazine is best of all, especially now that safeties can remain on while working the bolt. The stock is stronger and more streamlined. And, for those reloaders out there, running the different rounds through the chamber insures that they are chamberable!
Really, its what each of us prefer, If you are not used to a rifle, or haven't gone to the range much, anyone could fumble for a safety or whatever, with any rifle. I use a 308 savage Model 10 bolt 4 rd in mag, but my DPMS is a magazine or clip like Dad used to call it and I do too.... (Dad was a BAR man in WW II , he called it a clip... not a mag) I say ' Shoot enough so you are familiar with your rifle. If anything i always worry about my magazine might fall off in the field, and I lose it.' I can use either rifle just as well.
I prefer my DPMS-LR 308 when i'm on the ground walking , hunting pigs. Sometimes you can run into more than 30 + in a group. That's when i prefer the large capacity magazine. Deer Hunting I prefer my Model 10 308 .....
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Mixed feelings.... I like it in my tikka T-3 lite, but don't like the bigger clips protruding out bottom excessively out bottom like accuracy international on my 338 Lapua . Made it quite uncomfortable to sling on shoulder, so I usually pulled it while carrying it. The release was still jabbing ya in the back and now only had single shot. I'm not saying ya need 5 rounds in a gun like this but I prefer my .338 ultra bdl. With 3 in the floor.