Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?
YES 1,222 54.31%
NO 1,028 45.69%
Voters: 2250. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Hi Sidecar, What is a side feed rifle? The only ones I am familiar with are belt fed (they are definitely not light weight), or manual loading from the opposite side of ejection.

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

You can buy custom built rifles that side feed. My hunting partner has a Hart built, I think it's 7-08. It feed into the side of the stock, 4 rounds.

My cousin has an older Remington that feeds the same way. I don't have any but would consider that option if I wanted excess weight reduction at no cost issue. The 7-08 with a Nikon mounted loaded up is just over 6 pounds. Thats 3 bottles of bottled water or 2 bottles and a couple granola bars....

I've never been fond of high capacity magazines (I guess I have a distant relationship to Feinstein....lol) in a hunting rifle anyway. I never keep more than 3 rounds in a rifle and a couple in my pocket
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

I like blind magazine hunting so a detachable mag is nice, but 4 rounds available is enough for must hunts. So my blind mad win 70 is really slick and light in the field.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

I prefer a single shot
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

one shot is all you need but if you get in and out of vehicles a lot clips are nice.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one crazy kid View Post
one shot is all you need but if you get in and out of vehicles a lot clips are nice.
Lets use the correct terminology. Clips are for 40 caliber rimless revolvers and brain dead politicians.....

It's a magazine.

It begs to ask, What does getting n and out of a vehicle have to do with a single shot versus a magazine. Safety says when riding in a vehicle the rifle should be unloaded. I usually have one under the bolt and one in the magazine bu t I remove the under bolt cartridge and replace it when out of the truck.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Lets use the correct terminology. Clips are for 40 caliber rimless revolvers and brain dead politicians.....

It's a magazine.

It begs to ask, What does getting n and out of a vehicle have to do with a single shot versus a magazine. Safety says when riding in a vehicle the rifle should be unloaded. I usually have one under the bolt and one in the magazine bu t I remove the under bolt cartridge and replace it when out of the truck.
I have used a 742 woods master for the last four years and most my hunting time is spent with my best friend trying to find a rabbit so I get in and out of vehicles a lot and I find magazines much easier to handle. that said I have little to none experience with other styles such as floor plate or tube magazine rifle( not shot .