Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?
YES 1,229 54.40%
NO 1,030 45.60%
Voters: 2259. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
I think I'm going to try something new to me. 338RUM with Seekins 338 Lapua DBM.
Quality item, but very heavy. I am trying something new as well. I am ordering my first rifle in a single feed. It too will be a .338

Jeff
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM

After dropping a detachable mag in the snow and mud several times I decided to switch to floorplates.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM

I have both types and I split my hunts equally with both. A spare dbm offers quick reloading as well as an opportunity to switch to an optional load. Since I've never had to do this, my spare is just a back-up for any problems with the first mag. For follow up shots I feel a tad more confident in my floor plate models for reliable problem-free cycling (push feed bolts) for the following reason.

Both my dms guns are by the same manufacturer with each mag designed to hold 3 rounds. Chambering the first round from a full mag can be iffy at times due to bolt override. As a result I do not top off the mag once the first round is chambered. Cycling follow-up shots with only 2 rounds in the mag has never been a problem. Both guns use plastic mags and whereas I really like the guns, the mag quality would be my only negative comment. The mag construction/function just doesn't match the quality of the rest of the gun. This is why I feel more confidant in the floor plate guns and I'd probably recommend a floor plate rifle to first time buyers. A dms choice will likely need t a back-up mag anyway, an additional expense in the purchase.

My experience with different brands for dms is limited to one manufacturer. I would be interested in a poll as to who makes the most reliable mag for dms platforms and what back-up mags for different makes cost.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

I have all 3, bling mag, hinged, hinged detachable and detachable. My true favorite of all is Brownings system, hinged detachable by far. I prefer blind as it's more compact for hunting. But detachable is hard to beat. Hinged floorplates are a poor design and I actually hate them.

2 cents
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

Single shot solves all these issues for me

Honestly, with my hunting skill / luck a single shot beats a detachable magazine, floor plate or blind magazine. Since every time I walk back to camp or truck I unload, not running rounds through the extraction process or dumping them on the ground really keeps that one main round looking nice I have one particular .280 cartridge that has been the point round on several hunts in a row and it still looks great even though it is a SGK.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

since I like to carry my rifles and shoot the DM that sticks down below the trigger gets in the way. I do own a 270 Win Remington that has the factory DM and I don't have a problem with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Look at it this way. Feinstein hates detahable magazines in rifle application as well has hangun. Nothwithstanding, I prefer one when weight isn't a consideration.

If my ultimate goal was a super lightweight rifle, a side feed, multiple round rifle will be lighter in the same caliber as a bottom feed magazine rifle because the magazine weighs something even empty. Having said that, an alternative for me is a flush mount magazine. I don't care for one that sticks out, even though I have a couple rifles that do stick out, my 'go to' rifle is a flush mount.

It's a matter of preference and a matter of weight.