Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?
YES 1,222 54.31%
NO 1,028 45.69%
Voters: 2250. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Thanks for the idea! I knew I was missing something out there! I wonder if Ebay has them.....

I get a kick out of the idea that a person would be hunting elk with a big game rifle and then see a prairie dog so you'd have to switch mags fast (cuz 180gr partitions wouldn't kill a prairie dog) blast the doggy and then quickly switch back to your big game ammo and keep right on hunting. It doesn't really happen like that in the real world. It's crazy on so many levels that I don't even feel like addressing them for fear of the hatred that my comments would ignite. lol Lets just say that using a DBM is fine if you think you need one but don't try to justify it. Just say you like them. lol Sorry if I offended anyones purchase. I think they look cool also. Like TackB said, if you prefer a system, just say you prefer it. Getting caught up in the tactical aspect of this issue is moot. Remember, we're hunting animals that don't have guns on here. There's virtually no possibility that they will over run our perimeter and hack us to death we don't have at least 90 rds of ammo at our disposal. You should be going out with a purpose in mind, bringing a tool for that job and getting it done with one or two shots. If you like a DBM that's cool. I do too actually and my duty rifle obviously has one. But for hunting little furry unarmed creatures, I don't need one. If you can't kill what ever you're hunting in five shots I think you have bigger problems than not enough ammo. My Dad always told me, "If you are ever wondering if someone's an idiot, count his fingers. If you're still unsure, strike up a conversation about hunting." lol

Last edited by roaddog1m; 12-08-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

I don't want one so much for switching out loads as much as for the ease of loading/unloading the gun.

On the times I do get away to hunt, it's usually not umpteen miles back in the middle of no-where, it's hunting patches of public lands in between private land. A fair amount of crossing fences (with permission, of course) and getting in and out of vehicles (because you can't always get to spot B from spot A because of private landowners in the middle). To me, thats where a DBM really comes in handy - don't have to try crossing a barb-wire fence with a loaded gun, don't have to lay it on the ground (in the snow, often as not), and I can easily pop the mag and eject the chambered round and put it in the truck. It's a small convenience, but I like it.

YMMV,

Monte
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog1m View Post
Remember, we're hunting animals that don't have guns on here. There's virtually no possibility that they will over run our perimeter and hack us to death we don't have at least 90 rds of ammo at our disposal.
Only 90 rds??

Great post and perspective roaddog!

I really like the convenience, especially when my fingers are wet/cold. Bad weather follows me around every season. Easier to manipulate a mag than individual rounds.

I'm still serious about the zombies, however.........
Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

Ya, I agree with the ease of manipulation. I just think they look cool! When the zombie prairie dogs come, I'll be eating a few of my posts I bet. lol
Old 02-28-2011, 02:55 PM

i still prefer the floor plate of the old m70. Smooth, no snags, nothing to loose..
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
+1, Detachable makes it so nice to empty when getting back to the vehicle. For long range, a single shot is plenty.

AJ

+1
on hunting rifles
My long range rigs are single shot
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM

I do like a clip BUT some times it can mess with how far out you can seat your bullet. Happy hunting