Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?
YES 1,222 54.31%
NO 1,028 45.69%
Voters: 2250. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Most instances no- depending on the mag setup, I don't like it sticking out. When trying to spot and stalk, the balance point for carrying the rifle is right where the mag sticks out and it creates an awkward and uncomfortable carry position.

That said, I have a Win 88 in .308 lever action with sporter barrel and with a detachable mag that is almost flush that I love to carry. Either way works.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 AM
Silver Member

Unless you are engaging multiple threats, the DM really has no practical advantage. It's very tacticool though and from a stand point of convenience, only slightly has an edge. Any serious long range shooter should only need one or two shots. However, if you find yourself over run by rabbid prairie dogs and making emergency reloads, that's a different story I guess.
As far as changing ammo types in a hurry, hopefully we all know that two different bullet types rarely shoot in the same place. Personally, I hunt a LOT. And I've never found myself wanting a DM or kicking myself because that trophy Sasquach got away do to my lack of a chest rig full of spare mags. LoL Just saying...
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

is a bayonet lug a step to far? you just never know?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackb View Post
is a bayonet lug a step to far? you just never know?
Not at all! In fact, I like the way you think. I'd say a bayonet lug, DBM, chest rig full of spare mags and a couple of hand grenades (along with body armor of course) should not only be highly suggested for any hunting situation, they should be mandatory for any long range hunter worth his salt. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

Nope.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Even hunting, I always carry a few spare DMs. If there is a Zombie uprising when we're out hunting or long range target shooting in the middle of nowhere, easier to fight my way back to the jeep with detatchable mags, even if they are only low cap.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog1m View Post
Not at all! In fact, I like the way you think. I'd say a bayonet lug, DBM, chest rig full of spare mags and a couple of hand grenades (along with body armor of course) should not only be highly suggested for any hunting situation, they should be mandatory for any long range hunter worth his salt. lol
i think a cavalry sabre should also be worn ,,,,,, just in case?