Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.


View Poll Results: Do you plan to buy a new truck in the next year? Vote YES or NO - If YES, which brand
YES 562 28.97%
NO 970 50.00%
Chev/GMC 272 14.02%
Dodge 179 9.23%
Ford 333 17.16%
Toyota 231 11.91%
Other 42 2.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1940. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #50  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,641
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3toes View Post
ive had my 08 z71 ex. cab for 9 mounths now, ripped off front spoiler chasing whitetails around buffalo co. other than that no complaints, well mabe the gas milage. 20mpg???? maybe just the way i drive. just got a new 250 super duty for work, it about shook my fillings out runnin on interstate I94 yesterday!!
I have a short bed 2005 Chevy half ton with the max weight package and four wheel drive. The engine is the 5.3 with the automatic transmission. Gear ratio is 3.42:1. With the short wheel base it rides like a one ton truck! (only real bitch). Gets about 13 to 14 in town, and about 19.5mpg on the highway. Has no rattles or squeaks, and has been back for warranty work one time in six years when the speedometer decided to stay on 70mph.

Now I'm kinda shopping for a long bed standard cab truck in a similar layout right now. Going to give this one to my son as a birthday gift (the truck is mint with low miles on it). Looked at Fords and Chevys last weekend, and aside from sticker shock I found a few surprises. Most all Fords carry a 50% content on the sticker, and most all Chevys carried 65% or greater. My truck was built in Indiana, and carries a 93% content on the sticker! I have not looked at a Dodge yet, so I won't comment on them. Forget about me looking at a Toyota, cause it ain't gonna happen. I can get a class A discount on all three of the major brands, so I expect them to all come in close.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,641
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
I will NEVER buy a Chevy /GMC, after the government just gave them a pass on paying taxes on approx. 46 billion dollars of future profit. Thats after sticking the original bond holders when Chevy went broke and the goverment bailed them out, and gave the company to union ownership.
have fun walking! Ford never took stimilus money for sure, but they took tax credits instead (lots and lots of them). In the end it was the same deal. Ford's content is so bad that they no longer can claim to be American made! (67% or more per law). Now we have to watch Toyota laughing at them on TV about their having more U.S. parts than a Ford. But most of all; I wonder how many of those 6,000,000 Jews exterminated in WWII would buy a Turd?
gary
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,641
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Gary,
What ever you might think of Ford, at least they are a privately run company making a profit, not sucking at the tit of the Federal government getting bailouts and tax breaks. You might want to research your facts alittle more.
your barking up the wrong tree! I came out of the truck market, and probably know enough about what goes on in there to make your hair turn white. None are angels for sure, and will tell you anything to turn a sale. Also I'm not a brand orientated person (must be made in USA). I am an engineering orientated person, and know enough to see thru the hype. Perhaps a month on the dyno would make most of us here puke.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,641
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
nope actually getting rid of the 2wd tacoma for a mitsubishi outlander...dont judge me im a single dad and need the room. and before you all say i should get a 4dr full sized truck i just cant afford it. 28years old, single dad of a 3yo little girl and in college. gotta kill to eat not look cool
The new Nissan full sized truck will be built by Dodge for them. Rumor in the industry is that Mitsubishi may enter the market, and they already have a one ton that is as good as I've ever seen (extremely ugly though). It has everything going for it! Uses a Mitsubishi Deisel and a couple U.S. made deisels as well. Transmission is an Allison series 2000 (one size heavier than the one G.M. uses). Has a bed that dumps and tilts to the side! But is somewhat shallower than what we normally think of. Pay load is probably 25% greater than an American one ton. They've been building it for about four years now, but don't sell them over here.

There is a new power pack comming out right now that will add roughly three to five mpg to any truck out there. The problem is that a pick up truck is number four or five on the list. The first ones will be in town delivery vans. Later another series of light duty deisels will hit the markets with about 25mpg and a standard automatic transmission. With the new generation hybrid automatic you may see 27mpg or even 28.5mpg. The torque rating on these engines is around 470 ft. lb., and should be able to pull anybody's boat with ease. Dodge is tinkering around with a 1240 ft. lb. one ton truck right now! Uses a 600 series medium duty Allison gearbox (very similar to the powerpack in a Stryker). The engine is similar to the current 800 ft. lb. engine they already offer. What for? Ford is having issues with their new deisel already, and fuel milage is zilch on a good day! 12mpg is common on the highway, and a good one will get about 14.5mpg. That's a lot of money to spend to reduce gas milage by 8mpg! 35K is about all their transmission is good for, but transmission shops love them Look for G.M. and Dodge to widen their frames four to five inches for something new behind the engines (hint: it has only four moving parts). Lots of new stuff comming down the pipe line these days!
gary
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,844
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

When I buy a vehicle it is the best one I can buy for my needs. Bought a Ford Raptor to replace the 09 Chevy 6.2L because of all of the problems I had with it. Fractured wrist pin bushing on #8, 2 rear main seals, one oil pan gasket and a bearing in the left front wheel assy all in 18 months. No more Government Motors for me until they come up with something really good in the future.

Funny thing about the rest of my vehicles---the MB's have had many over the years and have had several Lexus products not one mechanical problem. The Raptor is brand new and the drive shaft already needs to be replaced TSB was issued earlier this week!

When bloated union labor is eliminated which is one reason the cost of the vehicles is so high maybe I will consider one again. You can boo hoo all you want about being built in America but with the global economy being firmly established those days are dead and buried. I will continue to buy the best in class and if it happens to say Ford or MB that is just the way it is.
__________________
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,641
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
When I buy a vehicle it is the best one I can buy for my needs. Bought a Ford Raptor to replace the 09 Chevy 6.2L because of all of the problems I had with it. Fractured wrist pin bushing on #8, 2 rear main seals, one oil pan gasket and a bearing in the left front wheel assy all in 18 months. No more Government Motors for me until they come up with something really good in the future.

Funny thing about the rest of my vehicles---the MB's have had many over the years and have had several Lexus products not one mechanical problem. The Raptor is brand new and the drive shaft already needs to be replaced TSB was issued earlier this week!

When bloated union labor is eliminated which is one reason the cost of the vehicles is so high maybe I will consider one again. You can boo hoo all you want about being built in America but with the global economy being firmly established those days are dead and buried. I will continue to buy the best in class and if it happens to say Ford or MB that is just the way it is.
not trying to start WWIII here, but Union labor has zero to do with your problems. Ford didn't build the drive shaft! It was their design and probably built in Asia, or by NTN in Colubus In. Ford builds about 30% of the parts in anything they sell unless it's a one ton or heavier truck. The guy making the parts just makes them to the spec engineering gives him. So you can expect that 60% of a Ford is non union manufactured, and the 10% that is union manufactured but not made by Ford is from Dana and maybe one other source. The largest North American content I've seen on a Ford truck is about 55%, and many fall in under 50%.

A G.M. truck will come at 62% or higher with a U.S. & Canadian content. My half ton came in at 93%, and was built in Indiana. A Toyota half ton will be close to 60%, and even it has it's problems.

By the way the last time I looked in Ward's the number one car for initial quality in the world was a Buick Lucerne comming in at slightly over half the the price of the number two car. An $80K Lexus. The difference between the two is very slight (one defect in 10,000 units). The bottom ten in warranty costs per unit are from BMW, Mercedes, and a couple Korean and Jap cars. BMW holds five of the slots if you count the Range Rover. Mercedes has one or two, and Honda and Toyota each have one. Interestingly all the bottom ten are non union built!
gary
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,844
Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

I have seen those numbers as well BUT---always question them because there are a quite a few people such as myself who never participate in the surveys either by mail, phone or internet. Hell I have even had some of them send me cash through the mail lol. Several people that I do know will make it a point to fill out the surveys because it makes them feel better.

I did make a mistake above and it was an honest one. MB did buy back my 2000 ML55 AMG because of a transfer case module that they could not fix even – sucker would go into low range when stopped for no reason…..

To your point about union labor----the overhead structure includes the higher touch labor costs which in turn leave less resources ($$$$) for Engineering, Processes and Materials given a product that has to sell at a certain price point.

Everything is relative here because supporting the pensions and benefits of retirees at the levels they have to is still killing the big 3 in the marketplace. To top it off most of the people we are talking about are on the other side of the isle and support people I cannot. Like to vote with my pocketbook if you will.…
__________________
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hit by a truck... Bowhunter57 Humor 2 10-04-2011 01:56 AM
Got me a new truck! philny1 Humor 3 08-25-2008 12:35 AM
No Truck Buffalobob Humor 0 12-14-2007 09:54 PM
I to need a bigger truck. royinidaho Long Range Hunting & Shooting 5 10-08-2007 04:34 PM
Help me build a "Truck Gun" Qzilla General Discussion 11 11-09-2006 08:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC