Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you plan to buy a new truck in the next year? Vote YES or NO - If YES, which brand
YES 562 28.97%
NO 970 50.00%
Chev/GMC 272 14.02%
Dodge 179 9.23%
Ford 333 17.16%
Toyota 231 11.91%
Other 42 2.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1940. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckromeo View Post
not on here much cause im in afghanistan but i just bought a new to me 1973 CJ-5 and am planning on buying another "new" hunting truck. small 4 wheel drive with a carburetor. to replace my fuel sipping ford hi boy
First of all keeo your noggin' down and your eyes open over there!! I'm with you in my thoughts (I'm a combat vet), and will be waiting for you safe return back to the world.

There hasn't been anything built with a carb in the last twenty years that I can think of. You might be able to find a good used ZR-2, and slip a small block in it with a carb. The electronics will be a bitch as everything is run thru the computers now, which means that you'll need a strait stick. Even the radiator will need changing out, or reworking. I've seen a couple ZR-2's with small blocks in them, so I know it can be done. Look for one built in the first couple years of production.
gary
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
First of all keeo your noggin' down and your eyes open over there!! I'm with you in my thoughts (I'm a combat vet), and will be waiting for you safe return back to the world.

There hasn't been anything built with a carb in the last twenty years that I can think of. You might be able to find a good used ZR-2, and slip a small block in it with a carb. The electronics will be a bitch as everything is run thru the computers now, which means that you'll need a strait stick. Even the radiator will need changing out, or reworking. I've seen a couple ZR-2's with small blocks in them, so I know it can be done. Look for one built in the first couple years of production.
gary
thank you for your support. and i know there hasnt been any carbs in 20+ years. ive never had any problems with my hiboy that i couldnt fix myself. my 03 eclipse that i bought for gas milage however has had endless problems as well as my 95 camaro and the other 2 fuel injected engines and i cant work on them as easily. i like old trucks anyway. more fun to drive easier to work on and its hard to beat the sound that comes out of a carbed engine. im only 21 but i love old vehicles and dont see any reason to buy these new vehicles. which is what i said about semi auto rifles until i just recently puchased an AR in pieces.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Not going to buy, but I should have my 1979 Chevy project done by the end of November. As much money as I have tied up in it, I could have bought a new truck.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

@ Surgeon,
But they don't build them like they did in 79'. Now a days, you need to be a "mechanical- surgeon" to work on them!!! My 65' chevy big window, I could sit in the engine compartment, and wrench away. My wife's 06' Cadillac STS has a plastic cover over the entire engine that you have to take off, just to see anything!! My 05' F-150 I was wishing I could get my hands on the engineer that put the oil filter in a spot that without a hoist and a filter "socket" was almost the death of me.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

just a note not trying to piss off the world, but let me tell you some crule facts that I learned from some very extensive engineering tests as well as test done by SAE lubrecation engineers over the years.

*the cleanest burning gasoline is Shell and BP. You might add Mobil in there as well, but we didn't have access to it at the time. The worst is Marathon/Ashland. The afore group of fuels will usually give you two to three mpg over the latter I might add. But most of all is the deposits left in the engine, and of course the fuel delivery system. Around here you can buy BP and Shell for about two cents a gallon more, and that's a bargin!

*year in and year out you will always find the same group of engine oils in the top four or five. Mobil is usually number one for use in gasoline engines (keep this in mind). The others will float around a little bit. We never did much testing of oil additives, but Lucas and Royal Purple seem to help greatly. But as much as we tested oils, our primary direction was with deisels. Castrol is the best period. Better than Mobil and all the other by a good margin! Mobil One is very good for gasoline engines, and Castrol is right in there as well. What Mobil lacked was suspension of dirt particals and transfer of heat in the deisels. The suspension of dirt is critical in a deisel as that's how you get it to the filter. Engine oil is actually a major form of coolant in an internal combustion engine, and if it dosn't absorb heat from the bearings they will fail. Deisels do put out a lot of heat in the bearings under hard usage.

* most people fail to realize just how critcal the oil and fuel filters are in an automobile. Buy cheap ones and pay out dearly down the road. We found that Baldwin filters were by a long shot the best out there. There are other good ones as well. You really can't change an oil filter too often!
gary
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

I've got my trusty '97 F 350 4x4 4 door long bed 7.3 diesel that hauls my hotel on wheels...Lance camper that only has 87K miles on it, no rust, mint. No, it's not for sale......

I can't rationalize paying 50 plus for a new truck (I'd need a heavy duty 4x4 for sure).

I can't do GM. They still owe us taxpayers millions. Now if they gave away vehicles to balance the debt owed, I might take one......

I can't do Chrysler. I know what's underneath the sheet metal and it's all the cheapest available materials, besides, now that they are Fiat, that's worse. Fiats are all fugly....

Trucks, cars and sleds are the worst type of payment book, all depreciate faster than they get paid for.

If I was to get a new vehicle, one it would have to be cash and 2, it would be a car, preferrably an awd with a roof rack so my deer can go on top and my guns inside.....

My cousin has a Prius and he's hauled his kill inside, quartered of course.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Bronze Member

Not within one year but hopefully the year after. Need to pay off the wife's new Explorer first then I am planning on buying a Ford F150 with the Ecoboost.