Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you plan to buy a new truck in the next year? Vote YES or NO - If YES, which brand
YES 562 28.98%
NO 970 50.03%
Chev/GMC 271 13.98%
Dodge 179 9.23%
Ford 333 17.17%
Toyota 231 11.91%
Other 42 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1939. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do You Plan To Buy A New Truck In The Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
I bought a New Ford F150 FX4 Super Crew in October 2010. Ford did not take the Bail Out Money!

By the way......Looking for a Tonneau Cover for this truck!
correct, but Ford used tax credits that they never had to pay back. You are now bearing the burden for those tax credits. No truck or car should have been allowed anykind of bail out unless it met the 67% U.S.A. content law. There is no Ford half ton that will come close to that, and I doubt a Dodge will either. Chevys usually run around 65% to 67% these days (U.S. & Canadian content). It's a sad day when Toyota can brag in an ad that they have a greater U.S. content than a Ford in my book!
gary
Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
Hey Westcliffe,
What is stopping the U.S. Auto maker's from using say, a 3.0 Diesel vs Ford's new 6.8? I had a 2000 F-250 7.3 that I loved. Then came the 6.0, and a salesman I knew talked me into "upgrading" to a more efficient 6.0. Needless to say, if I saw him jogging on the road, I would probably run him over like a woodchuck!! I had the 6.0 for less than a year, and was getting close to 1/2 the mileage of the 7.3!! One of the dumbest things I have done(vehicle wise) ever.
auto manufacturers and the grand idea of designing and building a deisel engine is a joke! Navstar did the 7.3, and it was a pretty good engine. Not great on emissions and fuel milage but by the time they were into their third year of production they still had a great powerpack (stick shift). They had a lot of problems with the fuel delivery system at first because Ford wanted some cheapo fuel injection system (note: Navstar was against this from the start). Ford also did away with the sodium filled valves and paid dearly for it. Dodge just went to Cummins and said "build me a motor", and we'll pay the bills. G.M. wasn't any better than Ford, and it cost them several billion to get the Duramax working right.

There are at least three half ton deisels in development right now. One is from Cummins and the rest are kinda shakey. Cummins has no less than three engine projects going on at the sametime for half tons, and one of them is rumored to be in a Jap truck (we'll see). CAT has a six that is turning a lot of heads right now, but needs about 25% better fuel milage. The goal is 25 mpg with 460 ft. lb. of usable torque
gary
Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Hey Tricky you may have an answer for me.

Why can't I buy a compact 4wd truck with a small turbo diesel in the US? They sell all over the rest of the world, seems honestly like everywhere but the US. I would love to see Frontiers, Tacomas, Colorados with a diesel full of touque and good milage. I spose the Colorados got the 5.3 gas motor, wich is a good motor IMO, but not the turbo diesel I want to see. Why couldn't they run some isuzu diesel motor instead.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Its going to get worse before it gets better. Small industrial machines are now being built with gas engines again so that the manufacturers don't have to develop emissions equipment for the diesels. Double the fuel consumption and less than half the engine life and of course they will probably sell for the same price as the previous generation of diesels...
Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 AM

not on here much cause im in afghanistan but i just bought a new to me 1973 CJ-5 and am planning on buying another "new" hunting truck. small 4 wheel drive with a carburetor. to replace my fuel sipping ford hi boy
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
Hey Tricky you may have an answer for me.

Why can't I buy a compact 4wd truck with a small turbo diesel in the US? They sell all over the rest of the world, seems honestly like everywhere but the US. I would love to see Frontiers, Tacomas, Colorados with a diesel full of touque and good milage. I spose the Colorados got the 5.3 gas motor, wich is a good motor IMO, but not the turbo diesel I want to see. Why couldn't they run some isuzu diesel motor instead.
at one time they were playing with a small V6 turbo deisel in the S10 platform, but the marketing folks cancelled the project just before they started the prototype testing on the highway. The V6 was a Detroit, and had about the same torque as the 4.8 V8 does right now. The only one I saw was in a GMC Envoy SUV, but knowing the way they did things I'd say there was at least a dozen built. Dodge also played with the same engine in the Durango, but Mercedes cancelled that program as well. We did test a few four cylinder CAT's in front of a super beefed up 700R4 during that time period, but the transmission wasn't upto the job. Dodge also built a handfull of Durangos that had a hybrid drive train with the electric motor being integrated into the transmission (we had a similar project under development at the sametime working hand in hand with Chrysler). The idea with that concept is that the motor inside the gearbox can add 100 horsepower intantly while allowing you to use a small motor for normal driving. The downfall is that the extra power boost is only good for two or three minutes of usage, and then the batteries must recharge.
gary
Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Its going to get worse before it gets better. Small industrial machines are now being built with gas engines again so that the manufacturers don't have to develop emissions equipment for the diesels. Double the fuel consumption and less than half the engine life and of course they will probably sell for the same price as the previous generation of diesels...
they are getting ready to clamp down on non automotive internal combustion engines in a big way as they are looking to be some of the dirtiest engines out there. The average automobile can drive from Chicago to Frisco, and emit less crap in the air than your power does in four hours! What's next? Charcoal grills?
gary