Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do You Hunt Upland Birds?
YES 823 66.21%
NO 420 33.79%
Voters: 1243. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Hunt Upland Birds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do You Hunt Upland Birds?

My wife and daughter don't eat pheasant so I quit hunting them about five years ago. Which is a shame since I have access to lots and lots of land for them.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Bronze Member

Yes. I enjoy Upland Bird Hunting with my Brittany. This will be her 3rd hunting season. She points, honors, retrieves and loves to hunt. We hunt quail, ruffed grouse, pheasant, chukkar and woodcock(aka: snipe, not the kind you get with a gunnysack.)

I have been hunting the Georgia woods and fields with Brittany Spaniels since the mid-70ies when it was very easy to find wild Bobwhite Quail in just about every fence line and bayberry patch. Those days are long gone. Most of the quail hunting is now commercial on plantations or private shooting/hunting reserves. There are still a lot of wild Ruffed Grouse here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can still find a few wild Bobwhite Quail but that is more in the central and southern part of the state, and the quail are sparse.

There are a lot of quail restoration projects that are showing varing amounts of success. Pen raised birds that are conditioned using long flyway pens develope very large, strong flight musles and higher stamina levels. These birds provide a hunting experience that is very close to the wild Bobs of the past. Many of these pen raised birds are released back into the wild. There is about a 25% survival rate from these domestically raised birds to a surviving wild bird. We have a lot of fat foxes, coyotes and snakes.

Looking forward to the season opening this year.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

Does shooting squab (pidgeons) out of the neighbor's barn, count?

I've been phesant/sharptail hunting a few times in the past. I didn't put in much effort.

Popped off a couple of blue grouse heads, while hunting big game in the Bitterroot range when I was a younger kid. Those were good eating, not much to them.

Other than that not a very good bird hunter.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member

This is North Carolina... We don't hunt just any old bird, We hunt Sir Bob!! An opponent of worthy respect.
Retired from the Corporate Wars
World Traveler and Freedom Fighter
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member

As a kid growing up in NE Ohio I use to bust the heck out of them. But that was in the 60's. Urban growth sucked up the farm land and bird hunting went with the farms. Having lived in Va for the last 25 yrs its been mostly deer and turkey.

However during the 80's waterfowl became the ticket as the winters in the mid 70's in Ohio pretty much wiped out small game. I miss the birds, looking to come to SD for some pheasent there some time.

But after years of busting birds, I got into watching my dogs work em and that became a real joy.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Bronze Member

I travel to Colorado, Kansas or Pennsylvania for these critters.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 AM

Pheasants, Chukkar and quail every fall in Arapahoe, Nebraska.

It's part of my job of entertaining clients.