Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?
YES 931 56.15%
NO 727 43.85%
Voters: 1658. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Re: Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

My grandfathers old T/C hawken 50cal.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Yes! I love shooting my muzzleloaders almost as much as my rifles. My brother and I even host an annual sidelock/open sight muzzleloader competition. My comp. rifle is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter .50 with target sights that shoots 2" groups @ 100yds with Lee R.E.A.L. 250gr cast bullets. Just for kicks, I often use my scoped omega in rifle season.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

I build and hunt with hand made traditional Flintlock longrifles. I think the new modern muzzleloaders have taken away from what the original intent of hunting with muzzleloaders. We got muzzleloader seasons because some of us wanted to hunt the way our forefathers did and excepted the limitations. My longest kill was on an Elk at 175 yards with a 54 round ball. I have killed more deer with my flintlocks than modern rifles. I only hunt turkey's with a flintlock 10g or 28g. I also hunt doves and rabbits with my 28g or 20g flintlock. Hunt squirrels either with my 40cal. flintlock or one of my other flintlock shotguns. I have killed deer and wild hogs with my 54 flintlock pistol. I really do hunt with muzzleloaders the traditional way.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

You certainly can't beat that! You are a dying breed my friend. I would do more here locally but I don't have anyone who knows much of anything about the "old" way. But I think it's great to do it that way.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Good for you, I live many miles from where I hunt and to get there on horseback would take all the time I have for hunting.

Most folks these days use 4x4 vehicles or ATV's to go hunting...or at least to drive to their hunting properties.

For those that "really" do it the old way without the modern conveniences I will tip my hat.

edge.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

I hunt with centerfire rifles but when it comes to muzzleloaders I keep it primitive and traditional. Alot of my friends and I like to dress the part. On my western hunts we do use horses and pack in. We go back in time and hunt like old Mt. men and Longhunters. We make most of our stuff. Guns, Bags, powder horns, ect. I am a blacksmith by trade and can forge knifes tomahawks and parts for my flintlocks. I have even maded my own dugout canoe and made a 200 mile trip on a wild river here in Tennessee to celebrate Tennessee's Bicentenniale, at a primitive encampment. We hunted squirrels and fished for a lot of our food. Yes, I do take primitive muzzleloading seriously.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Shot my first buck when I was a kid with a 50 cal. Hawken rifle I made. I grew up in the crap state of New Jersey that didn't allow rifles and a shotgun could only be used with buckshot which is useless.(now I live n the crap state of Massachusetts which is as bad, but they do allow slug guns). Shot most of my eastern deer with muzzleloaders. Still use a Virginia 1850's style flintlock for local hunting. It's 50 cal, 40" barrel that shoots a .490 patched roundball with 3F Goex into 3" at 100 yards. Lock time is tuned to be just about indistigusable from a percussion and its dead reliable. A far cry from shooting deer at 1000 yards with my Cooper, but just as much fun.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt