Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do You Hunt Ducks or Geese?
YES 899 48.73%
NO 946 51.27%
Voters: 1845. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Hunt Ducks or Geese?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do You Hunt Ducks or Geese?

Love it, and the action. Hunting ducks and geese will show you just how bad a shot you can be ( if you thought you were good with a shotgun.) Started hunting them in the mid 70s after that huge snow storm struck Buffalo NY. Wiped out small game in NE Ohio. My duddies and I trapped fox and muskrat just to get cash to buy shells/decoys etc. Back then pelts still brought pretty good money (Before PETA). And lead shot was still the norm. We hunted the corn and wheat fields, lay between the picked corn stalks, coverd up with the busted stalks and called em in. When the snow flew, we would dawn white painter coverals and lie on white styrafoam board to sepeate the cold ground. We killed lots of ducks and geese that way. Our little group in NE Ohio became almost notorius for slaying the flyers. And of course we all had retreivers, blacks and cheasies. Hell them dogs would fight over the same bird to make a retrieve. Great fun!!!! Still have my old john boat I camoed. We'd drag that into a backwater, stuff it in that cattails overlooking some decoys and put a hurten on them birds. Of course back then we had the point system too. If you shot one black duck (100 pts) you were done for the day.

So we learned to identify ducks quickly, busted alot of mallards and teal. Great fun, miss it!!! Need to get out and bust them again. But here in the Mts of VA, deer and turkey seem to be the main course.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

If it has a heart beat I hunt it

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM

love waterfowl hunting! as much as i can but it is hard hunting public land in ca. i travel to oregon at least once or twice ayear, what a different experience up there. work hard do your scouting u can still be successfull
Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Bronze Member

Spring Snow Goose hunting in Missouri is the only waterfowl I have ever hunted. During the conservation season. Bring lots of ammo. No bag limit. Extender tubes. One of the funnest trips I have ever been on.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

Central Flyway in Colorado every year!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbound View Post
love waterfowl hunting! as much as i can but it is hard hunting public land in ca. i travel to oregon at least once or twice ayear, what a different experience up there. work hard do your scouting u can still be successfull
California has some of the best duck hunting in the country. Dealing with the public on public land can make you crazy but the options in the North Valley are amazing!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 PM

NO...because of the FEDERAL stamp,...I don't voluntarily pay anything to the fed.s,but I love waterfowl and being married into a couple of Cajun clans,I can always get duck/goose to eat