Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you hunt coyotes?
YES 2,297 83.10%
NO 467 16.90%
Voters: 2764. You may not vote on this poll

Do you hunt coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you hunt coyotes?

Would trapping them count? If so, yup!!

Use to plant watermelons on the powerlines to bait them in. But it seems some local found out that there were just hundreds of watermelons growing out there and someone picked every single melon!! Coyotes don't leave about a size 11 footprint.....

The coyotes here have been called before and they do not respond to mouth calls, electronic calling, or skinned beavers hanging in trees at this location. The melons worked until stolen, and haven't been planted since.

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

I have not hunted coyotes, but, I would if I were hunting, and but not choosing to shoot a coyote over a game animal already steaked out (pun intended) LOL
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Do you hunt coyotes?
No, I don't know any good recipes for coyote.

If a particular species of animal has no place on my dinner table then it has no place in my gun sights or cross hairs.

The only exceptions are nuisance animals like the odd persistent skunk that rips open my garbage bags and stinks up the place.

My pet Rotty actually kills more skunks than I do. One chomp from those massive jaws and a shake and the skunks back is broken.....spray or no spray they all wind up buried in the back yard. Good thing his memory is short & he doesn't go back & dig them up again.

Ain't no coyote going to hang around my place with that moose with a 30 pound head full of long, sharp teeth on the property.

Last edited by pricedo; 12-28-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM

I live on my 300 acre farm so I'm always carry one of my several rifles or pistols while feeding my cattle. I'll bust a coyote every now and then plus I go out calling during the spring, fall and winter. I reload so I'll hunt with several rifles at times, one of my Rem. BDL .270's, Rem.SPS .243, Savage .243, Marlin XS7 .243, T/C Encore 25-06, T/C Encore 7mm08, Rem. Model Seven 7mm08, Rem. .22 mag rifle, plus 4 other Rem. 700 .270's I have. Since I reload I like to take them shoot some reloads at the coyotes to see if they perform as well on critters as they do on targets I will also carry either my Springfield 1911 A1 .45 w/5" barrel or Ruger Blackhawk Single-Six w/7" barrel and bust a few if I can get them up close! LOL I have a ton of coyotes here on my place in Oklahoma!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

I don't consider coyotes to be varmints, but varmint hunters, just like me.
I respect them, they seem to respect me. And they later take gain in the dead woodchucks I drop into fence lines.

I see them once in a while when I hunt. They know I'm there. Apparently they know I don't shoot them. Nor do I shoot turkey, deer, bear, bodcat, raccoons, or fox, etc, when I'm woodchuck hunting.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Mikecr, I respect your choice not to shoot them but on my place and this area are so many that they have attacked some of my calves and killed many over the years. I had 35 Chickens several yrs ago and once they got a taste they wiped them out in a matter of 2 weeks so I shot at and killed every Coyote that can close to my house. I respect them as well and don't shoot everyone I see. Example: If I'm sitting in one of my deer stands or Turkey hunting most times I will let them pass but they are very hard of the deer and Turkey population we the Coyote population get too high. Coyote's are a very smart creature, when you thin there pack real low the females will have more pups in there litters. If the pack is over populated the females will have less pups in here litter or not come into heat. I will shoot them every chance I get though but not every time because I really like to see them running around. They will be around long after we are gone, they are survivors.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I agree that where they are a problem they should be controlled.
Their breeding adjustment sounds alot like squirrels. If then you shoot too many, too fast, they'll come back in far worse numbers...