Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you hunt big game with a bow?
YES 858 59.34%
NO 588 40.66%
Voters: 1446. You may not vote on this poll

Do you hunt big game with a bow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Re: Do you hunt big game with a bow?

Love to bowhunt. Ive been fortunate to take Brown bear, Moose, Elk, White tail, Mule deer and blacktail deer. All were do it myself hunts. My bowhunting is slowing down now because of bone spurs in my shoulders.

Time to dust off the rifles.

Silvertp
Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 PM

i hunt every year in my home state of Montana. I have only harvested one elk-with my bow, but i enjoy getting out there and climbing to the top of some tall mountains. I'm 64 years old and still enjoy the hiking.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertp View Post
Love to bowhunt. Ive been fortunate to take Brown bear, Moose, Elk, White tail, Mule deer and blacktail deer. All were do it myself hunts. My bowhunting is slowing down now because of bone spurs in my shoulders.

Time to dust off the rifles.

Silvertp
Congratulations You have done well with the bow. Those achievements no one can take away from you. I have always done do it yourself hunts. I was one of the fortunate ones to posses an unerring sense of direction. I do
take along a gps and a compass just in case. They are in the bottom
of the pack. I read terrain coming and going and I hardly ever hunt flat ground.

Some of these new rifles are really great.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshotleroy View Post
i hunt every year in my home state of Montana. I have only harvested one elk-with my bow, but i enjoy getting out there and climbing to the top of some tall mountains. I'm 64 years old and still enjoy the hiking.
You sure do have the tall mountains. what is your average elevation on
your hunts? Some hunters never harvest an elk. That doesn't keep them from the chase. Each one harvested is a treasure.

64 years young. Just remember to catch your breath occasionally, while looking at the pretty scenery. Wow that's 16 years back, can hardly remember
that far. I quit looking at birthdays a long time ago, all my buddys kept dropping dead. So I thought who needs this? Went out and bought a new rifle.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM

The mountains range about 6500 feet and I have been up around 7500 feet. Hold on, I have to take a breath!! But I love to get up there. We start about 3100 feet.Last year I went by myself to about 7,000 feet (not smart) and my right foot slid under a blow down and I heard a huge "crack"-Thought I broke my ankle-did not but sprained it very badly. I was still near the top-took me an extra 4 hours to get down.Nice view though.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

My home is 4018 ft, That's why they call it the high desert. Mostly Juniper
and sagebrush. I usually hunt at 6000 to 7500. I have to re-sight in my
hunting bow every year at hunting camp. I finally bought another bow for 3D
competitions on the I-5 corridor 2 to 300 ft.

How many times have you been told "NOT to HUNT ALONE?" I heard it enough
that I mostly hunt from a Tree Stand. Yes, it has it's dangers also. I try to
mitigate those with a climbing stand, safety harness and staying put.
I set up Three or four trees ahead of season so I get a change of scenery.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 PM

Location: I split my time between Eugene, OR and Steamboat Spring, CO

I started using a bow again in 1992 after my wife at the time called me a murdering bas...d and I didn't give the poor critters a chance. Shot a nice bull elk at 30 ft. that year laying in his bed, and a big blacktail buck a few weeks later at 12 ft in his bed..told her the weapon didn't matter, I was a murdering bas...d! So far 43 elk...23 with rifle, 20 with bow so I must be doing something right.
"I travel the far blue mountains, a place of thundering cascades and simple waterfalls, breathing air so fresh and crisp it crackles in the mornings golden light. I climb the tree studded ridges, shouldering up against the blue, a hawk circling above...this and much more call, but of those who answer, few find the freedom which is mine"