Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?
I have in the past 571 32.61%
I plan to in the future 755 43.12%
I probably never will in the future 726 41.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1751. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
I am an American living in Australia. I hunt here all the time. Of course there are snakes but there are snakes everywhere!
Yes, every continent we hunt on has snakes, but Australia has the greatest number of DEADLY snakes and spiders. I love things wild, but have little love for things poisonous. It could be said I've done my penance, having been bit by a brown recluse and laid my head in a nest of black widows. The brown recluse bite took 6-months to heal & the black widow bites covered the back of my head & nearly killed me. At this stage I would rather face a water buffalo than something poisonous!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

I haven't gone on any hunts in the wild wild west, as they say, but I want to. Actually, it's the wide open spaces that brought me to longrangehunting. I'm looking to put together a combined Elk and Muley hunt at some point in the future. I have A LOT of things to prepare first.

Why this pertains to this thread is that I'm doubting the idea of going on a fully-guided hunt. So I guess my answer to the poll question is that no, I would not use one.

However, my two choices would be a drop camp, or self-guided on public land. I have to admit that the idea of spending a week on a mountain, in a drop-camp scenario, and not seeing a single (target) animal, scares me away a bit. But that would be my preferred method if I can find a reputable outfitter that can prove some success with drop camps.

As a last resort, I'd do a self-guided hunt on public land. But if that's the way I'd have to go, I'd have a LOT more homework to do. Not only the areas I'd be willing to hunt, but also what the animals there typically do throughout the open season.

But....like I said before, I have plenty of preparations to make before I get to the point of making the really important decisions.

For what it's worth, I hope this discussion continues because some folks like me are really paying attention to it.

Last edited by theflyonthewall; 07-18-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

After further reflection------THE GOLDEN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Bronze Member

I never have. Hopefully I can find places to go on my own.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Ballistic View Post
I know that the open, non-private areas are a hard find for Red Stag of any size anymore. They just are gettting too much pressure and the government game management has been very poor to encourage any type of regulations to allow any trophies time to grow. You can get on some private ground for them, chamois, tahr and fallow deer for less than you think. I know that the next time I go I'll pony up another $2K and do that. It makes sense to me after paying the amount it costs to go there. I hated the flight, way too much air time!

How about this for a large stag, mind you its in the UK where i live, no snakes that will do you any harm and half the flight time!
Cheers
Richard
Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

I am blessed to live in Montana where if I put in the work. Scouting, walking hours in the woods, I have a great chance at getting a nice bull every year. Deer are everywhere. I will never use one for that reason, but I under stand people living out of state using a guide. If you get off the roadway and beaten path there is awesome hunting here. Google earth is an awesome tool to use to find great hunting.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

After reading some of these posts, I suspect a few of the folks who aren't going guided can't afford one anyway. Not sure what the point of posting is if that's the case. I went on a guided elk hunt last year and had a blast. Shot a nice bull, got charged by a large grizzly, and made some new friends. All things I'll remember for years to come. I'm doing a guided deer hunt in a few weeks. Can't wait to get into the high country for a week. Hoping to score on a good buck. I'm also mulling a guided elk hunt the end of Oct. My outfitter has a cancellation opening. I'm waiting see what we get for snow the first part of Oct before making a decision. If it looks like there's some migration out of Yellowstone, I'll be there. I've done four DIY hunts into the Thorofare and one up the Greybull River not far from there. It's nice to have someone else mess with the horses and handle the camp chores. If yer considering a guided hunt, its something I'd strongly recommend you do at least once in yer life...