Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?
I have in the past 572 32.65%
I plan to in the future 755 43.09%
I probably never will in the future 726 41.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1752. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Like I said I probably won't make it on one of these for a long time but this isn't a bad idea. I think it'd be help to those who are going.
+1 I think it would help the outfitters business as well . I live in a small town I've owned a small business and word of mouth is the best way to draw in customers. Treat people right and you want have to worry about the next job, of course their is always some one that can't be satisified no matter how well you do and that person is usually remebered for his reputation as always being dissatisfied. If I were to drop big money on a guided hunt then it would be a great relief to come onto this site and survey a thread about past experiences with certain outfitters i think it's a great ideah.

Bigbuck
Old 11-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Probably not. I spend enough time and money doing this as it is and get alot of enjoyment. I try to spend what left over time I have with my wife-who occassionally will shoot but, isn't into hunting.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk8 View Post
I have to agree with Bigbuck and Jmason (love your whiskey by the by). At this point in my life it would be entirely selfish of me to go on an outfitted hunt. Granted, if "she who must be obeyed" let me trot off to New Zealand with the boys for a red stag hunt......

Don't feel too bad I had to wait until I retired and the girls got married.
I just turned 64 and it was worth the wait. Best time I ever had!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

My dad had the same idea. Retired from one of the largest construction companies as a supervisor. Then worked four more years with a small construction company as a supervisor. He finally retired at 66. Granted he could of done it long before. My point is he worked hard for 48 years(he told me he only missed one day of work) and when he retired his health went down hill fast. So don't wait until it might be to late to enjoy yourself. I have been planning to start for five years now. I have a young family also but I am fortunate to have a good job and we have always live well inside our means. My plans are to start with a exotic deer hunt probably a fallow and go from there.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Well i,ve put aside a few $ just to go hunting as much as possible. It was some fun and met some great people!
Next trip is to Baxter Springs, Kanas for pheasants.
Check ot the Web site " Show me Birds"

They breed these birds for speed. Its like trying to shoot down a Navy jet!
Can't wait!

Hunt as much as you can before the developers take all the land
Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

I guess its the chance you take, but the 1 and only time i ever "paid an outfitter" was to pack our huntin buddies and me into wilderness area where not 1 of us saw even 1 elk till 2 days after the season on the way out.(1 cow) These guys are all seasoned hunters ranging from 32yrs old (me the young buck) to 58 yrs old in GREAT physical condition.All of us were raised in hunting families, in the northwest.Thats alot of combined experience to go completely empty handed. This was not a guided hunt, just an outfitters drop camp hunt. I respect guides and how difficult thier job is,(hunting with all comers is something i could not do) but I will say when I shoot or dont, and at what i want to shoot. And NO IM NOT going to pay an extra $1000.00 per point for the one you have tied to the tree. Im also gonna keep my meat and horns Especially if its a record.NO I wont settle for a replica makebelive set you will have made for me so you can show off MY real horns at YOUR lodge.I wasted 5 years worth of poinst for that tag and almost $2000.00! When i couldve just hunted around home and ''settled'' for another raghorn bull.
$2000.00 will buy a nice rifle next time i have a hair brained idea like paying to hunt!
Oh well, at least i got to see some new country that i wouldnt have otherwise.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 01-22-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: accidently wrote could do when i meant to say could NOT do
Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Im NOT trying to be judgemental towards guides or people who use them!
I just had a very costly learning curve that im not about to repeat. I live in elk country and have always been a DIY guy so i dont have any excuse for using an outfitter to see if the grass is greener somewhere else. My paying for the above mentioned hunt was no fault of anyone but me. Theres never any guarantee in fair chase hunting. But 5 guys at 2grand a piece for 7 days......youd think if they wanted ANY repeat business that 10 grand would at least put you in the general 10/15 mile vicinity of the critters your trying to find.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"