Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?
I have in the past 572 32.65%
I plan to in the future 755 43.09%
I probably never will in the future 726 41.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1752. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

I work for the Forest Service and have seen a lot. Enough to have turned me against hunting with an outfitter. I hate to generalize them all into one category but really haven't figured out how to separate the weeds from the crop. I only know two guides who I really like and respect and one of them has passed on.

What I have experienced that were worse than the outfitters are the "front men" for hunting shows. I've seen them put out upwards of 100 game cameras a day, run hunters off by telling them they are on private property when they weren't, swoop in with ten or more spotters with hand held radios and kill all the big elk in a valley and all load up and take off for the next forest, and the list goes on.

I really don't know what has happened to our hunter ethics.

So, no, I probably will never use an outfitter.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 AM
PUBLISHER

Sorry for your problem. I have been on quite a few outfitted hunts and never once seen even a hint of unethical behavior by the outfitter or guide. I think yours were not typical experiences. But as in any other field of business it must exist.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Bronze Member

I know Len.

I probably should have kept that to myself since it was not from a hunters point of view but from the land managers side.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

Went on a guided bear hunt once. The baits where poorly layed out and the area overhunted(Only one bear taken for 6 hunters) BUT it did get us started. Was kinda nice not haveing to cook though!!The price was right and we had a great time so ya under the same circumstances I'd do it again! I'm cheap and would rather fail myself and try again than pay big bucks for a guide.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

From J E Custom's post:

1 = you should do a lot of research before you talk to the outfitter.
2 = Get references and talk to some of them to get a feel for the type of outfitter he is (Not
just a good old boy).
3 = Communicate well with the outfitter and express your wants and expectations of the hunt.
4 = And if the Hunt does not appear to be headed in the right direction ,REDIRECT IT !!! It's
your money.
5 = And by all means don't demand a guaranteed kill because they cannot do that but they
should try very hard to make your hunt a success .

Those planning on an outfitted hunt should take these steps seriously. Every step is important to do all you can to have an enjoyable hunt. Notice I didn't say to assure you'll get the game amimal(s) your hunting. Only guaranteed hunts are not hunts just a shooting experience (imo)

With the internet, hunting organizations as B&C, P&Y, Hunting Report, etc. an awful lot of information is available for those willing to do the research.

Because I hunt Canada and Alaska a good bit, I have used outfitters many times. When possible, I enjoy DIY hunts every bit as much.

I have to say that on hunts where I don't loose an arrow or fire a shot, I have not once considered it a bad hunt. Having a good recipe for tag soup helps.

Not sure about the happy face???
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

How about a section of this site devoted to our experiences with various outfitters. It sure would help in deciding where to lay down our $$$$$$ on future hunts.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
How about a section of this site devoted to our experiences with various outfitters. It sure would help in deciding where to lay down our $$$$$$ on future hunts.

Like I said I probably won't make it on one of these for a long time but this isn't a bad idea. I think it'd be help to those who are going.