Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?
I have in the past 572 32.65%
I plan to in the future 755 43.09%
I probably never will in the future 726 41.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1752. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

When your young and in great shape to go on a hunt of a lifetime you can't afford it, when you get to the point in your life where you might have the extra money to go on a Hunt, your body says Hell No.. what were you thinking.. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

I used to do semi guided or DIY hunts all the time. I like the control aspect of it.

After I was paralyzed in a vehicle accident, it got too hard. This year I'll do Kansas for whitetail (Woodlands Guides), Maine for moose if I draw (Smoldering Lake Outfitters) and Texas for whitetail (Catarosa). Also scheduled for Idaho bear with hounds next May 2014 (Reggear Outfitters) - this one should be borderline insane but I'm dying to do it.

I'd go back to DIY in a minute with the right body. Hard but very rewarding.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM

I have gone on several outfitted hunts in the past. One to Alaska; one to British Columbia; One to Wyoming; one to Idaho; one to Colorado;one to Nevada; and one to New Mexico!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

I would absolutely love to be able to go on an outfitted hunt, but alas, the cost is simply to high...

I do enjoy do-it-yourself hunts, and I have enough friends and family scattered around the west that should I ever draw a tag I should be able to go hunting, and have some places on which to hunt. Having a young family, I haven't been able to afford many out of state tags yet, but I am hoping to go on my first elk hunt this fall, even if it is just for a cow. Good eatin'
Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
When your young and in great shape to go on a hunt of a lifetime you can't afford it, when you get to the point in your life where you might have the extra money to go on a Hunt, your body says Hell No.. what were you thinking.. lol
Glockman55-Oh so TRUE!

I am very impressed by all the young family men that have answered up that would like to go, but cannot because either they cannot take their family, or afford a separate family vacation. That alone says volumes of the character of the people on this site.

I have done guided and non-guided hunts in the past, and I plan to do so in the future. I much prefer non guided, when I can, and it is practical. I live in the northeast. I am able to do a lot of deer hunting on my own, and do pretty good at it. Spend all year scouting and watching deer. However, my greatest passion is elk hunting. My first elk hunt was a DIY with two friends in Colorado. 7 days, I did not see an elk. One buddy saw one cow, the other saw three cows. Glorified camping trip. When I go west, I want to hit the ground hunting. I am a whitetail hunter, hunting with an outfitter has taught me a lot about elk.

That being said, I just drew Colorado 3rd season deer which will be a DIY, and hope to draw Wyoming antelope, which if I draw, will also be a DIY with my 12 yoa son. On the same note, I have 6 pref points for Wyoming Elk. When I do go, I will most likely use an outfitter for the best opportunity.