Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

The testing we have done comparing TTSX & partitions - there is a hands down winner. In both my 35 whelen & 350 RemMag the 180gr. TTSX penetrated much much deeper than a 225gr. partition ever did. The old idea that you need an extremely heavy bullet for the larger game is no longer true. The TTSX retained nearly 100% in weight and I am sure that is the reason for retained smackdown. The partitions did hold together the final 50% of lower end of bullet but that is no longer the best teckno.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

Have not used the Barnes so I not saying the Nosler Partitions are better, but on the recommendation of another hunter with lots of African hunting experience that is what I took on my trip this summer.

Using a Remington 700 in .30-06, with handloaded 180 grain Nosler Partitions I killed a Baboon, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Impala, and 2 warthogs with one shot each. The Impala ran the furthest at 25 yards, the Blue Wildebeest and the Gemsbuck ran 20 yards, one warthog ran 15 yards. The Baboon and the other warthog dropped at the shot. I had great blood trails on everything but the Blue Wildebeest which I shot in the chest facing me.

I was very impressed with the bullet performance over a variety of game: 90 pound Baboon to 600 pound Blue Wildebeest. All bullets exited except the Blue Wildebeest. I got sufficient expansion on all the animals. Shots were from 5 yards Impala to 80 yards on the Gemsbuck.

As I said earlier, maybe not the best, but certainly they worked for my application.

Jerry
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHAND View Post
Keep in mind that the minimum condition to open a barnes X is right around the 2000 fps mark. You'd have to be pretty close with a 405 win to keep above that condition. When they open up they work beautifully, but I've had TTSX hit bone at up to 800 yards with a 160 grain projectile and smash right through. Even lung only hits still left about a 50 cent piece sized hole out and out (about like a broadhead from an arrow)
I had the 405 win stoked to2300fps out of a ruger #1. Was hoping at the shot she would be lifted off the ground and thrown into my truck(which was a fair piece away). You can imagine my disappointment when that didn't happen. The muledeers lungs were pretty and pink right up to the little hole going thru them.
I am sure that barnes bullets a much better today than when I last tried them. Seeing the testimonies here sure indicate that.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

I would say that they are the best of the shooting / hunting world.... I load both in everything from 25/06 to .338 Wm and just about everything in between.. I've spent the last 40 years hunting with both and could not choose between the two..but I'll take either over anything else.. I used the original X-bullets and coated them with DANZAC and used them for years and then the XLC's, as a matter of fact I'm still using them in most calibers, bought enough to have them for a long time.. I'm also using the TSX's coated with DANZAC also and it completely eliminates the copper fouling.. as for the partitions..what can you say...they've been around a long time and it's no accident...they work!!! EITHER is just about perfect for any hunting condition within reason..I wouldn't be afraid to take on anything with either!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTen View Post
The testing we have done comparing TTSX & partitions - there is a hands down winner. In both my 35 whelen & 350 RemMag the 180gr. TTSX penetrated much much deeper than a 225gr. partition ever did. The old idea that you need an extremely heavy bullet for the larger game is no longer true. The TTSX retained nearly 100% in weight and I am sure that is the reason for retained smackdown. The partitions did hold together the final 50% of lower end of bullet but that is no longer the best teckno.

At what range please?
God Bless

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I've never had a one shot kill with the Barnes TSX . I'd sure pick a partition over the Barnes .
I've had my last 10 one shot DRT with Barnes. They range from deer to elk. I've been hunting four legged critters for the last 40 years and have used many different bullets in that time frame, some good and some bad. I have yet found the barnes too fail me.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM

I am in the Nosler Partition camp. To be fair my experience with Barnes was with the old first generation X bullet and I had some problems with them not opening up at long range. I am sure the newer versions are much better. Problem is I have had such great experience with the Partition that I just can't change.

However in my 6.5 Rem Mag I recently switched to the 130 Accubond and it shoots such very nice groups at 500 yards, that I am giving it a try.