Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Probably thinking of the Interbond or Accutip.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
I've never had a one shot kill with the Barnes TSX . I'd sure pick a partition over the Barnes .

Really?? I have never not had a one shot kill with any "X" bullet going back to the original "X". They keep getting better and better.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
Really?? I have never not had a one shot kill with any "X" bullet going back to the original "X". They keep getting better and better.
+1

Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

I don't shoot a lot of big game, mostly just mule deer. Occasionally get out for elk or black bear. Started using the Nosler Partition back in the 1970's - which seems like a long time ago somehow. They've never disappointed. Also a fan of other Nosler hunting bullets, the Ballistic Tip, Accubond and the good old Solid Base bullets which were the lead-tipped predecessor to the Ballistic Tip.

They've all done well for me.

I had accuracy and fouling problems when I tried the old Barnes X bullets, but liked the concept. When they came out with the TSX, I decided to give them a try and took a couple of mule deer, using my .25-06 rifle. One buck, shot at very close range, showed obvious expansion along with the famous Barnes penetration. Excellent performance. The other? I'm not sure it expanded at all - but it did kill the buck.

I've got some Barnes bullets on the loading bench, mostly in case someone decides to make lead core hunting bullets illegal. For hunting, I've got to say I still prefer my Noslers. Maybe it's just all those years of trusting them.

Watching the big 6x6 bull elk take a few faltering steps, then stumble and fall after the 175 Nosler Partition went through his chest, causing tremendous destruction.

Seeing my bear instantly drop when hit with the 260 gr Accubond at a tad over 300 yards. It penetrated completely through, and he left a wide swath of blood as he dragged himself less than 10' under some nearby brush.

Looking at the impressive damage inflicted on my son's first deer, when hit through the chest and out, shattering the off-side leg, with the little 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip...

All good memories, from almost 40 years of using Nosler hunting bullets. We truly live in a time when there are many excellent choices for hunting bullets. Nosler, Barnes, Swift, Sierra, Speer... I've seen them all work really well.

Regards, Guy
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM

I have limited experience with the partition however, i have shot many animals with the Barnes TSX and TTSX. the question you pose really comes down to application, are you going to be shooting long distances, what size game will you be shooting etc...

If you are an avergae hunter where most shots are 150 yds or less with the occassional shot out to maybe 300 yds then i would suggest the TSX/TTSX.

If you plan on using them for long range, i would caution that you need to understand what your rifle is capabale of in terms of velocity at those distances. You maximum effective range will not be limited by accuracy with the Barnes bullet, rather it will be limited by the recommended minimum impact velocity.

For accuracy i would suggest the the TTSX/TSX over the partition for your average hunting distances.

For longer ranges i would look at the Berger VLD hunting bullet and the Hornady A-Max as viable options that will produce accuracy and performance needed to make an ethical kill.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
It's the opinion of the people who produced it, Nosler.

It is recommended only for light to medium game, not large game, not dangerous game.

The information is on their website.

As far as deer goes, well they are considered to medium sized thin skinned game so they are well within what the bullet is designed for.

Elk and Moose are not.
Elk and Moose are perfectly within the realms of an accubond. My grandpa used to hunt elk in northern AZ with his 270 using 130gr Speer soft points. He killed everything he shot. The bullet didnt explode, bounce off, or get scared at the sight of the elk and turn aside.
Put any bullet (within reason) where it needs to go and what you just shot is dead.
Dont mean any disrespect, but I whole heartedly disagree with your statement thats all
Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Never shot a Barnes but have used the 150 and 130 grain partitions in my .270. Killed my first moose with the 150 grain partition @ 275 yards. With the 130 grain I shot a big whitetail that was making a scrape at about 110 yards. I aimed between his brow tines as he was facing me. I was downhill from the buck. The bullet entered near his spine high on his neck and penetrated to his right rear ham where I found it. The bullet expanded back to the partition and stayed intact with no core separation. Four feet of deer is a long way to penetrate in my book.