Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Question:
which one is the better bullet on a 270 Win, the 130gr tsx or the 140 gr accubond?
What would thel result be on entering and exiting of these two bullets on an animal?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Question:
which one is the better bullet on a 270 Win, the 130gr tsx or the 140 gr accubond?
What would thel result be on entering and exiting of these two bullets on an animal?
At what range? You can expect more expansion from the Accubond at any range but the terminal effects are going to depend greatly on the velocity upon impact.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

all the way to 500 yrds.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

i saw a show from midway usa testing the tsx, sierra, partition and ballistic tip. the results from the tsx were very impressive and damaging especially when they added elk pelt and femur bone into the gelatin. the tsx shattered the bone and caused lots of internal damage with a complete pass through.
Does anyone have any idea why the didn't include the accubonds?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

I've had several nosler partitions in .270, .338, and .375 caliber that have come apart. Their claim to fame is that they make a nice mushroom, and the back half stays together. My reality is that they do not always look so pretty and often lose much of their weight due to portions of the bullet either blowing off when it hits bone, or ripping away from the core when it encounters bone or flesh it does not agree with. I have killed many animals with Barnes TSX / TTSX and have been satisfied on animals as small as coyotes up to a very large and angry Shiras bull moose. All but a few bullets have gone completely through the animals, but those I have recovered generally retain over 90% of their weight after hitting bone. The nosler E-tip is a great bullet as well with the accuracy edge slightly to the E-tip over the Barnes in my guns. I have used the accubond on a few deer, and none of them made it very far requiring no second shots, however examination of the bodies showed me I would not want to use an accubond on an Elk...simply too frangible a bullet IMO.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i saw a show from midway usa testing the tsx, sierra, partition and ballistic tip. the results from the tsx were very impressive and damaging especially when they added elk pelt and femur bone into the gelatin. the tsx shattered the bone and caused lots of internal damage with a complete pass through.
Does anyone have any idea why the didn't include the accubonds?
Probably because under the same condition the Accubond would have exploded when it hit the femur producing in all likelihood a wounded animal.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
all the way to 500 yrds.
At short and medium range if you hit something hard with the Accubond it's going to blow up. The TSX and bullets I was recommending will open and punch a hole right through them.

The Accubond is recommended for light to medium game only unless you are talking long range where the TSX, Partition etc may not open well at all.

If you plan on punching through hard stuff the Accubond is not the best of choices.

It's construction and design afterall were with a long range target bullet in mind not as a hunting bullet.